1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Passing by

1. Jun 12, 2006 #1
    I want to find out how many paricles on random move passing through a little hole ?
    There is no condition or force acting on eachof them. :biggrin: :biggrin:Thanks guys:biggrin: :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2006 #2
    [tex]E=h\nu[/tex]

which is the energy for one photon, then can you see what the energy of many photons is??

[tex]E=nh\nu[/tex]

where n is the number of photons, hence rearrage to get n,

i presume the photons get diffracted as they go through the hole in which case

[tex] E=\frac{nhc}{\lambda}[/tex]

where lambda is
    [tex]\lambda=2d\sin\theta[/tex]

because you haven't given information on what you are given ie what values you have, I will also give you this for a particle,

[tex]E=\frac{n\hbar^{2}k^{2}}{2m}[/tex]

where

[tex]k=\frac{2\pi}{\lambda}[/tex]

and as before [tex]\lambda=2d\sin\theta[/tex]

also when asking questions, it is best to put more into them, your own workings and understanding and also a bit more in about the question, it is not easy to understand what you are asking with only 2 lines of writing

best wishes

Newo

Last edited: Jun 12, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?