Passion or Talent: What Really Matters in Choosing a Career Path?

• Other
  • Thread starter ultimater
  • Start date
In summary: He's not that supportive.In summary, the OP wants to pursue a professional career in engineering, but classmates and teachers tell him he should become a football player instead. The OP has an IQ of 80-90, and his grades in school show that he is not good at engineering. The OP is willing to work hard and study, and if he succeeds, he will be able to become a very good engineer.
I don't think IQ tests are completely meaningless, I think the results just need to be taken with a grain of salt. They can be useful in identifying a students strengths and weaknesses, but may miss the bigger picture. But that is why people have been redesigning the different tests in order to make them better.

As for apergers (not commenting about the OP at all, just saying in general), while the diagnosis does not exist anymore, it is very harmful to make such blanket statements about those who suffer from symptoms (now associated with being on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum). While these people may begin with poor social skills, by the time they are teenagers they often have adjusted so well that one may not even know that they are on the spectrum (even though they are aware that they have to make a lot of effort to socialize) and would be able to comfortably participate in sports. I have often suspected that several of the smartest, most accomplished people that I know may have some symptoms of the disorder, which could very well have contributed to their success (intense focus etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey ultimater.

I think you should realize that there are probably a number of reasons why things don't come to you academically/intellectually and this doesn't reflect incapacitation (i.e. the inability to do a task). This is quite common and the way around it is finding out how you think/work internally and how that can be utilized to bridge between what others think/work who are providing teaching and guidance.

If it involves language then it means you will have to find your own "native" language to understand things and get teachers and other resources to bridge what is being communicated in whatever language to you in yours.

Everyone has their own language that they work in and once it clicks in that language it usually stays. It's almost like everyone having their own dialect of some language and when it's difficult to translate then they feel they are stupid when in reality they just haven't found the right translation to use.

If you are able to communicate a vast range of concepts, information, and assumptions and break things down in regular conversation then that is evidence that you can acquire understanding in many forms. Even if you are limited relative to others, it doesn't imply incapacitation.

chiro said:
Even if you are limited relative to others, it doesn't imply incapacitation.
It only implies a different, perhaps more effective, way of looking at things. That's often called creativity, very useful to have in an Engineering field! So is your demonstrated curiosity of how things work.

Fervent Freyja said:
Did I not say that it was meaningless beyond a few conditions? What are you talking about? By definition, a score is a measurement, so calling it a 'score that doesn't measure anything' is misusing the terminology here.

A score is a measurement? Except it isn't at all when it's applied to things it can't measure. Intelligence can't be defined or quantified, so there are no tests that can actually "score" it.
Yes, from what I recall in completing mock IEPs, IQ scores can be used as an evaluative tool in US public education; though, maybe that has changed in the last decade. They are sometimes a prerequisite for entrance to some exceptional programs- look it up yourself. I would only request one of these if a student was not doing the coursework and didn’t have the grades to reflect that they are eligible for a program, or as additional evidence that a disabled child qualifies for an exceptional program. It is a matter of paperwork. They are often also used to prove that a child has a disability to the government so that they can receive financial benefits, medical assistance and the educational support that they very much need. It is difficult to prove cognitive disability, what else do you suggest? You cannot just snap your fingers on these matters. I did not state that I agree with using IQ testing beyond those few conditions.

IQ tests, as far as I know, are never used as the sole determination of disabled or gifted children. For the latter, they're seldom used at all.

What else do I suggest? What educators already do, look at the whole person in context.
Are you stating that no person with Asperger's has ever played football? Do you have any evidence for this?

Considering when Hans Asperger first coined his syndrome, a common characteristic was clumsiness and poor motor skills- than yes, I would consider it highly unlikely anyone with Asperger would play football well enough that a coach would tell you to pursue it professionally.

Further, Asperger's no longer exists, was replaced with autism spectrum disorder, and again, I'm not sure why this was brought up.

Because, this young was made to feel stupid and I was trying to make him feel better, unlike some other meanies on here. It should be pointed out is that he is probably being bullied before any other advice is given!

Who was trying to make him feel stupid? His educators gave their opinion and advice, I don't see any bullying there.

Making him feel better isn't giving him proper educational advice- the entire purpose of this thread. No one is being mean here.

He has the desire to do something, which is half the battle, the other half is applying yourself. If he can't apply himself to his academics (as evidenced by his poor marks), then he needs to find another career path. It isn't too late for him to try though. His "IQ" score is meaningless and has only served the purpose of derailing the thread.

Last edited: