Passive Radar System: Basics, Inventor & Info

In summary: So you can detect things like small, low-flying aircraft, cars, and trucks. Passive radar was originally developed by the United States, but other countries have since developed their own versions. There is no one website that has comprehensive information on this technology - it's a bit scattered around.
EngTechno
I want to know the basic concept of Passive Radar System that can detect Stealth Aircraft? Which country invented this technology ? Is there any website that has information of this technology?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm have no clue about this but I've seen a documentary on Discovery where they showed the ability to detect stealth aircraft by simply looking from above for moving "holes" in the radar emitted from the ground. The idea is that if the aircraft is designed to diffract and absorb radar energy it will always do it so therefore it will crete this hole as an undesireable secondary effect.

Of course the high altitude aircraft needed or satellites needed to get that vantage point would limit the number of countries with this capability if this is even what you are talking about. Maybe even bounce the transmissions off the upper atmosphere and look for a "hole" in the returning energy? Given how carefully the military plans the route of the aircraft to minimize radar coverage I'd guess they're fully aware of the limitations in the technology or I'm wildly misinformed...

Cliff

Cliff_J said:
I'm have no clue about this but I've seen a documentary on Discovery where they showed the ability to detect stealth aircraft by simply looking from above for moving "holes" in the radar emitted from the ground. The idea is that if the aircraft is designed to diffract and absorb radar energy it will always do it so therefore it will crete this hole as an undesireable secondary effect.

Of course the high altitude aircraft needed or satellites needed to get that vantage point would limit the number of countries with this capability if this is even what you are talking about. Maybe even bounce the transmissions off the upper atmosphere and look for a "hole" in the returning energy? Given how carefully the military plans the route of the aircraft to minimize radar coverage I'd guess they're fully aware of the limitations in the technology or I'm wildly misinformed...

Cliff

I can't see this "hole searching" scheme as cost effective. You have to be in the right place at the right time, or you get zilch. The odds strike as bordering on futile...even with Ionospheric Reflection (which I'm not sure will maintain integrity of the shadows).

Anyway, I don't believe this is what EngTechno has in mind, as he's looking for a passive detection system.

I guess this means that you detect the onboard radar from the craft. I haven't read anything about this yet, and I'm curious too, what kind of signal/noise levels you can currently recover meaningful signatures from.

Picking up someone else's radar is a lot easier than seeing reflections from your own. It is common for stereos to buzz at the PRF of nearby radars. More sensitive receivers are used to detect radars at a distance.

...which is why stealth aircraft don't have radar.

"Passive radar" is based on detecting the way an object blocks ambient UHF signals as it travels through them. Those signals are usually from cellular phone transmitting towers, which today are almost everywhere.

What is a passive radar system?

A passive radar system is a type of radar technology that utilizes existing signals in the environment, such as radio and television transmissions, to detect and track objects in the sky. It does not emit its own signal, making it difficult to detect and allowing for covert operations.

How does passive radar work?

Passive radar works by analyzing the reflections of existing signals from objects in the air. The system receives these signals from both direct and reflected paths, and uses advanced algorithms to determine the location, speed, and trajectory of the object.

Who invented passive radar?

The concept of passive radar was first proposed by Sir Robert Watson-Watt in 1935, as a means of detecting and tracking enemy aircraft without giving away one's own position. However, the first operational passive radar system was developed by the Soviet Union in the 1960s.

What are the advantages of passive radar?

Passive radar offers several advantages over traditional active radar systems. It is more difficult to detect, making it useful for covert operations. It also has a lower cost, as it does not require the use of expensive transmitters. Additionally, passive radar is immune to jamming and can operate in densely populated areas without causing interference.

What is the current state of passive radar technology?

Passive radar technology has advanced significantly in recent years, with the development of new algorithms and signal processing techniques. It is currently in use by military and civilian organizations for various applications, including air traffic control, surveillance, and security. However, there are still challenges and limitations to be addressed, such as its sensitivity to environmental conditions and the need for a large network of receivers for optimal performance.