Is Passive Reading Effective in Physics?

In summary: I would read for 2-3 hours and not be able to put it down because the material was so fascinating. I would then go to sleep and not be able to remember anything from the class the next day.
zahero_2007
What do you think about this reading style ? Iam used to passively read a textbook in physics or math to get a picture about what this is all about then I Actively read the text carefully with a pen and papers . Passive reading makes me cover a lot of material in a relatively short time for example in differential geometry . What do you think of this method?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it works for you, it's ok :cool:

I used to do that studying other disciplines other than math/physics. I can't do it in maths or physics because I can't understand anything if I read things fast, and I usually think it's harder than it really is. I always see very rapidly what's on the book just for curiousity, but it doesn't help me...

I first go through the deriving of all the formulas and then go back to read passively to understand in English.

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2010/05/chase-your-reading.html
It seems to me that while reading non-fiction, most folks are in searching mode. Most would be more intellectually productive, however, in chasing mode. It helps to have in mind a question, puzzle, or problem, and then read in order to answer your question, explain your puzzle, or solve your problem.

One particularly helpful comment for me is that

Searching allows you to create the boxes that chasing can fill in the first place.

I, too, really need to get a big picture before delving in any specific topic, otherwise I'll forget the details easily. However, I'm going to fall asleep if I read books passively. So I have to keep in mind when reading passively that my goal is to find an interesting problem, a piece of the big picture, and get started deriving and calculating things.

Truecrimson said:
However, I'm going to fall asleep if I read books passively.
Why is that bad? When I study I usually read for 30 minutes, then sleep/rest for 5-30 minutes depending on how exhausting the read was, repeat. Resting/sleeping while studying helps your mind process and retain the information.

I actually exaggerated that part. But there was one time when I took a particle physics class using Martin and Shaw. It's that bad.

1. What is passive reading in physics?

Passive reading in physics refers to the act of reading a scientific text without actively engaging with the material. This means simply reading and trying to understand the information without conducting experiments or solving problems.

2. How is passive reading different from active reading in physics?

Active reading in physics involves actively engaging with the material by conducting experiments, solving problems, and asking questions. It requires a more hands-on approach to learning, while passive reading is a more passive form of learning.

3. Is passive reading an effective way to learn physics?

While passive reading can be a helpful way to gain a general understanding of a topic, it is not the most effective way to learn physics. Active learning techniques, such as problem-solving and hands-on experiments, have been shown to be more effective for understanding and retaining information in physics.

4. Can passive reading be combined with other learning methods?

Yes, passive reading can be combined with other learning methods such as active reading, lectures, and discussions to enhance understanding and retention of physics concepts. It is important to have a balance of both passive and active learning techniques for a comprehensive understanding of physics.

5. How can I improve my passive reading skills in physics?

To improve your passive reading skills in physics, it is important to have a basic understanding of the subject and to read actively when necessary. Take notes while reading, ask questions, and try to connect the information to real-life examples. Additionally, regularly practicing active learning techniques can also improve your overall understanding of physics.