Passively Cooled PSU: Finding the Perfect Fit

• Thread starter dwaring28720
  • Start date
In summary, the passively cooled PSU would be perfect for a media PC as it would be quiet and less cluttered.
dwaring28720
passively cooled PSU!?

hi in your searching of the net have you ever come across a passively cooled PSU? if so let me know please :P

hehe, I've just built a media PC purely from glass, looks nifty especially with my 4" cathodes however when you do turn the lights on its horrible coz the PSU aint exactly tidy so i need to swap it out for a modular unit just to get rid of the cable clutter, at the same time, as its a media PC i would like to get rid of the noise output of the PSU so a passively cooled unit similar to the "400Zen" would be perfect, anyone came across anything that fits my criteria? much appreciated thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org

I'd like to see your PC if you ever have a chance to post some pictures.

Math Is Hard said:
I'd like to see your PC if you ever have a chance to post some pictures.

ill link a couple of shots when i get home, i had a bit of tweaking to the case so now its got a textured aluminium frame work around the edge to hide some of the cables, its easier to explain with an image, so stay tuned

On another note about the power supply, as I am not running it with any accessories ie no optical drive, and only 1x2.5" Sata HDD, the cpu is a AMD X2 4200 and I am using the onboard GFX, 1st off i was wondering how smaller PSU i could get away with coz i found something interesting on ebay ie which could cut down on noise, space and heat inside the case

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-12v-200w-DC-DC-ATX-20-pin-power-supply-2010-/260713003578?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item3cb3b4ba3a

will 200w be enough!?, i know the product is designed for mITX boards but after a little searching i found the CPU needs 89w but everything else i was drawing a blank, DDR2 requirements seem to be in voltage and i couldn't find anything about the board/HDD anyone had experience with this type of hardware.

I am familiar with passively cooled PSUs and their benefits. These types of power supplies use natural convection to dissipate heat, rather than relying on fans which can be noisy and prone to failure. In terms of finding the perfect fit for your media PC, I would recommend looking for a modular PSU with a high efficiency rating, as this will help reduce cable clutter and minimize heat output. Additionally, you can search for PSUs specifically designed for HTPC (home theater PC) use, as these are often designed to run quietly. Some popular options include the Seasonic Prime Fanless series and the Silverstone Nightjar series. It may also be helpful to read reviews and compare noise levels of different PSUs before making a purchase. I hope this helps in your search for a passively cooled PSU for your media PC!

1. What is a passively cooled PSU?

A passively cooled PSU (power supply unit) is a type of power supply that does not use any fans or other active cooling methods to dissipate heat. Instead, it relies on natural convection and heat sinks to keep the components cool.

2. Why would I want a passively cooled PSU?

Passively cooled PSUs are ideal for systems that require quiet operation, such as home theater PCs or studio recording equipment. They also have the added benefit of not having any moving parts, which can reduce the risk of mechanical failure.

3. How do I determine if a passively cooled PSU is the right fit for my system?

The first step is to check the power requirements of your system and make sure that the passively cooled PSU can provide enough power. You should also consider the size and form factor of the PSU to ensure it will fit in your case. Additionally, you may want to research the brand and read reviews to ensure the PSU has a good track record of reliability.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a passively cooled PSU?

One potential drawback of passively cooled PSUs is that they may not be able to handle high levels of heat or heavy loads as effectively as actively cooled units. This could result in reduced performance or even failure if the PSU becomes overheated. Additionally, passively cooled PSUs may be more expensive than their actively cooled counterparts.

5. How can I ensure proper ventilation for a passively cooled PSU?

To ensure proper ventilation, it is important to have adequate airflow within your system. This means having proper cable management and keeping the components clean to prevent dust build-up. You may also want to consider installing additional case fans to help with heat dissipation.

Back