Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Password expired?

1. Jun 28, 2008 #1
    Hey, when I logged in about an hour ago I got a message that said something along the lines of "you've had your account for over 500-something days and your password has expired," after which I was prompted to change my password. ... then the site stopped working for like an hour.

Anyway, was that a bug or something or was it just coincidence ... and why do we have to change our passwords?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just a coincidence- the database is backed up around that time each day. You are required to change your password every now and then for security reasons.

4. Jun 28, 2008 #3
    hm... well I think that my paid upgrade thing also expired because my posts don't have an avatar or signature anymore... I just redid the paypal thing, but I forget, how long does it take till it goes through and I can add an avatar?

how come we don't get a warning before the account expires?

5. Jun 29, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Greg has to manually upgrade you once he has received the payment, but he's away this weekend. If you're not gold by the middle of next week, I'd drop him a PM and make sure that everything's gone through.

You should have received a warning message regarding your contribution, unless it's another upgrade bug.

6. Jun 29, 2008 #5
    O there we are, my pic is back up haha. thanks guys.

7. Jun 30, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, now you're gold again you fall victim to your posts being thrown into the mod queue in Feedback!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?