Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Password for excel file

1. May 11, 2006 #1
    hey y'all

I need help putting passwords on documents, i.e. these documents CANNOT be opened unless the password is provided. This could also be for a folder.

Like I have documents in a folder, and I do not want anyone else to have access to this folder, I would therefore like to password protect access to this folder and if possible the files inside.
    thanks!
    :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2006 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Who are you trying to protect the file from?

4. May 11, 2006 #3
    hahaha! :P from my little sister....

totally kidding, not anyone in particular, but some things are just private and confidential, like work documents.. and I many times let others use my laptop.

+ my laptop got stolen recently, also with a lot of confidential documents unprotected!

can u help me? :D

5. May 11, 2006 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

file->save as->tools->general options

6. May 12, 2006 #5
    thanks! :)

7. May 12, 2006 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I suppose that might slow down your little sister. Someone who's going to go after your data will (at least) have something as powerful as, say http://lastbit.com/excel/, or any of a number of other excel password cracking tools out there.

I don't know enough about excel or what the password protection actually does, but, considering their history on this, MS isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

8. May 12, 2006 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I was curious, so I Googled: http://lastbit.com/rm_guaranteed.asp
    So no, it isn't all that strong.

9. May 14, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If your concern is protecting confidential documents from theft, the best approach is to not save them on a laptop at all. Confidential documents should be stored on a computer or server with restricted access.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?