Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Password Recovery

1. Feb 3, 2004 #1
    My French teacher gave me a login name and password for a online textbook.

I typed in the password into a Mac-only browser, and made it remember it.

The site doesn't work with that browser, but the paper I wrote the password on was thrown away.

I need to recover that password. Is there any free software out there for the Mac that can recover passwords behind asterisks? Like this: ****

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

what brower are you using? I found a program to recover asterisk passwords in windows, but i need more info about the browser your using?

4. Feb 3, 2004 #3
    The browser in which the password is remembered in is:

SAFARI V1.0.1

5. Feb 4, 2004 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Sorry, couldn't find anything. There probable isn't a way to get it back without brute force. First google hit got a windows crack, but OS X has too good of a security system.

Just curious, are you sure the website doesn't have a password recovery system where they email you the password? I've never been to a site that didn't implement one. You can also call up the company of the website and try to get it reset.

Btw, safari isn't a mac-only browser. It is a port of kde's konqueror to the quartz interface.

6. Feb 4, 2004 #5
    My teacher gave me that password - therefore, if I want to recover the password it will Email it to her, not me.

7. Feb 21, 2004 #6
    Own up and ask your French Teacher for it again!

8. Feb 24, 2004 #7
    Yeah, I guess I've waited long enough. I'll ask her again.

9. Mar 5, 2004 #8
    Well if you saved it into your browser then you must have saved it using cookies, why dont you trying looking through your cookies at that site and getting your password back?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?