1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Past paper moments question

1. May 14, 2005 #1
    I'm stuck! This is the question:
    A uniform rod AB has length 3m and weight 120N. The rod rests in equilibrium in a horizontal position, smoothly supported at points C and D, where AC=0.5m and AD=2m. A particle of weight W Newtons is attached tto the rod at a point E where AE=x metres. The rod remains in equilibrium and the magnitude of the reaction at C is now twice the magnitude of the reaction at D. Show that W=60/(1-x).

I've worked out the reactions at C and D before W is applied, (40N and 80N I think) and by substituting 2Rc=Rd into 180+Wx=0.5Rc+2Rd (where Rc and Rd are the reactions at C and D) I got 180+Wx=4.5Rc, but now I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to bring the 'pre-W' results and the 'post-W' results together, and I'm not even really sure if that's what I'm supposed to be doing! Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are missing a 2 in this equation

180+Wx=0.5Rc+Rd

and it looks like you used the 2 to get the equation that followed

To bring your results together you need one more piece of information. What is the final Rc + Rd in terms of the weight of the rod and the added weight, W?

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  4. May 14, 2005 #3
    That missing 2 was a typo, sorry. I've corrected it in the original question. I can't try to do the question now cos I'm piiiiiissed but I'll try again in the morning. Or maybe the afternoon. Thanks for the advice though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?