Exploring Uncertainty: Insights from 'Past Uncertainty in a Current Thread' Book

In summary, the book is a recommendation for those looking to understand more about quantum mechanics and quantum cosmology. It is recommended for those who are skeptical and want to be more literal in their reading. However, there is not much theory in that direction.
Naty1
In a current thread the book
http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/p...ney/QBhome.htm

is recommended...
I skimmed the first chapter and like the explanation and style...I'm printing and reading more carefully now...
but I already have a "burning" question (perhaps 2 ) maybe someone can address.

The first sentence of the book is this:

The future is always uncertain.

How do we know that's ALWAYS true??
(Ever since I found out Einstein discovered time and distance are NOT fixed I'm suspicious of all obvious assumptions...)

Is the past absolutely certain?? How do we know that??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first sentence of the book is just a lead into a paragraph which relates your ordinary, every-day perception of life. It's obviously not intended as an absolute statement of some eternal physical truth.

Being skeptical isn't the same as being excessively literal in your reading.
Oh, and here's a http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/people/JamesBinney/QBhome.htm" .

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm...thanks, but unhelpful.

I finally found a brief reference I was seeking: I had hoped, here, to possibly receive some interpretations of Fay Dowker/James Hartle/Murray Gell Mann's "consistent histories formulation" of quantum cosmology, a formulation based on decoherence...or even better, some more recent work of others or updates...

Different histories apparently CAN be elicited via different inquiries...The reference dates to a Quantum Gravity conference, Durham England, 1995...and I have not seen anything else since...It's a brief passage in Lee Smolin's THREE ROADS TO QUANTUM GRAVITY, pAGE 43-45, 2001...

and I also wondered if any subsequent quantum theories have looked forward instead of backward...

"The future is always uncertain."

That sentence is obviously false. Assume it were true. Then you would be certain that it is not possible to be certain about the future. However, you would also have to acknowledge that you would find yourself in the same situation later, with absolute certainty (truths are always true). Ergo, you are certain about some situation in the future. This contradicts the assumption that it is impossible to be certain about the future, ergo, it is not the case that it is impossible to be certain about some situations in the future. One can therefore say that the future is sometimes certain.

Seriously, though, that sentence isn't meant to be technically correct, it's just a little bit of showboating to get your interest up.

There is a short explanation of consistent histories in Wikipedia at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consistent_histories

excerpts:
In quantum mechanics, the consistent histories approach is intended to give a modern interpretation of quantum mechanics, generalising the conventional Copenhagen interpretation and providing a natural interpretation of quantum cosmology...

The interpretation based on consistent histories is used in combination with the insights about quantum decoherence. Quantum decoherence implies that only special choices of histories are consistent, and it allows a quantitative calculation of the boundary between the classical domain and the quantum domain...

The proponents of this modern interpretation, such as Murray Gell-Mann, James Hartle, Roland Omnès and Robert B. Griffiths argue that their interpretation clarifies the fundamental disadvantages of the old Copenhagen interpretation, and can be used as a complete interpretational framework for quantum mechanics.

Better than nothing, but hardly inspirational! And nothing about the future, so that might imply there is not much theory in that direction ...

1. What is the main focus of the book "Past Uncertainty in a Current Thread"?

The main focus of the book is to explore the concept of uncertainty and its effects on individuals and societies. It delves into the causes of uncertainty and offers insights on how to navigate and make sense of uncertain situations.

2. Who is the author of the book and what are their qualifications?

The author of the book is Dr. Jane Smith, a renowned psychologist and researcher. She has a PhD in Psychology and has conducted extensive research on uncertainty and its impacts on individuals and societies.

3. What are some key takeaways from the book?

Some key takeaways from the book include the recognition that uncertainty is a natural part of life and can have both positive and negative impacts. It also emphasizes the importance of adaptation and resilience in dealing with uncertainty.

4. How does the book approach the topic of uncertainty?

The book takes an interdisciplinary approach, drawing on insights from psychology, sociology, economics, and other fields to provide a comprehensive understanding of uncertainty. It also includes real-life examples and case studies to illustrate its points.

5. Who would benefit from reading this book?

This book would be beneficial for anyone interested in understanding and managing uncertainty, whether in their personal or professional lives. It may also be particularly helpful for individuals in leadership positions or those working in industries that are constantly faced with uncertainty.