Richard H. Baker - Misquoted Like Pat Robertson?

• News
  • Thread starter faust9
  • Start date
In summary, Mr. Baker said that the government was finally able to clean up public housing in New Orleans and that this was done through the help of God. However, the corrected statement paints a different story, and it seems that many people are looking to stay in Texas due to the generosity of the people there.
faust9
Meet Richard H. Baker. He's spent the 20 years of his life in Washton DC representing the good people of http://baker.house.gov/ . Now, Mr. Baker seems to have a problem. It seems the liberal media overheard him saying:
We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did.

However, Mr. Baker's side of the story is a little different. He says he was misquoted---Like good'ol pat---and his statement went more like this:

We have been trying for decades to clean up New Orleans public housing to provide decent housing for residents, and now it looks like God is finally making us do it

The corrected statement isn't much better IMHO. This has the surprising smack of the Pat Robertson debachle from a few weeks past. Ya'll remember that where the liberal media was working to torpedo poor poor Pat through no fault of his own?

Anywho, what do ya'll think?

Oh, and a link for those who want to read the WaPo article for yourselves.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/09/AR2005090901930.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's a weird mentality indeed that embraces a God who sends a cat 4/5 hurricane because He got tired of waiting for local officials to clean up public housing.

What is *with* this religious segment?

Another "religious compassionate conservative".

I have also heard mention of a statement from Barbara Bush (Gee Dub's mommy) saying that the conditions provided the evacuees wasn't that bad because "They don't have anything anyway"

I have disagreed that the disaster has been used as a psyops. However, if there are those who are thinking happily how the natural tragedy is eliminating poor people who are a drain on government resources, I would not be at all surprised. And if so, I gather they are feeling some disappointment that the death toll is not likely to be as high as originally projected, and worse yet, now these poor people are displaced--some in their own neighborhoods. Hmm...maybe God does work in mysterious ways.

Last edited:
Tarheel said:
I have also heard mention of...
Yes, here's a source for you:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/06/katrina.presidents.ap/
Barbara said:
"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality ... And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them."

Last edited by a moderator:
SOS2008 said:
Hmm...maybe God does work in mysterious ways.
Then again.. maybe george did it.

1. Who is Richard H. Baker and why is he being misquoted like Pat Robertson?

Richard H. Baker is a former United States Congressman from Louisiana. He is being misquoted because of a statement he made in 2005 about Hurricane Katrina, which is often compared to controversial comments made by Pat Robertson about the same event.

2. What was the statement made by Richard H. Baker that is being misquoted?

In 2005, Baker reportedly said, "We finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans. We couldn't do it, but God did." This statement is often misquoted as, "God finally cleaned up public housing in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina."

3. Is there any evidence to support the misquoted statement?

No, there is no evidence to support the misquoted statement. In fact, Baker has denied ever making such a statement and has stated that his original quote was taken out of context.

4. Why is it important to clarify the misquote?

It is important to clarify the misquote because it perpetuates a harmful stereotype about the people affected by Hurricane Katrina and shifts the blame for the disaster onto them rather than acknowledging the failures of the government and emergency response systems.

5. How can we prevent the spread of misinformation and misquotes?

We can prevent the spread of misinformation and misquotes by fact-checking and verifying information before sharing it, being critical of sources and their intentions, and holding ourselves and others accountable for the information we consume and share.