Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pat Robertson and the power of free speech

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

http://www.comcast.net/news/national/index.jsp?cat=DOMESTIC&fn=/2005/11/11/261991.html

Once again, we have Pat Roberston in the news claiming doom and gloom to any of those who go against religious teachings. But hey, it IS America where you can express what you want. Good thing our media is there to catch what he has to say. Do you think he is the only one who doesn't realize how crazy he sounds?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2005 #2
    Unfortunately he is not the only one.

I wonder how many residents of that school district will move since they are no longer under God's protection

4. Nov 11, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: If they all move away, I'm moving there. :approve:

5. Nov 11, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Sadly too many people by into that ********.

Roberston is to religion, as Bush is to government. :yuck:

6. Nov 11, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oddly enough, I finally found out what the 700 club was after reading that article last night.

I thought it was some sort of congressional show.

7. Nov 11, 2005 #6
    If any religious organization deserves to lose it's tax-exempt status, the 700 club is it. They are an extrememly political/religious organization.

8. Nov 11, 2005 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I can't say that I have followed Pat Robertson's words of wisdom over the last decade or so :rolleyes: , but has he always made these sort of outlandish comments? Or is it just more recently?

9. Nov 11, 2005 #8
    He always has on his television show, although he did change hhis tone when he ran for president.

10. Nov 11, 2005 #9

Astronuc

11. Nov 11, 2005 #10
    Don't turn to God? I don't remember that line from the bible.

12. Nov 11, 2005 #11
    I'm sorry I missed Pastor Robertson's clarification.
    Later Thursday, Robertson issued a statement saying he was simply trying to point out that "our spiritual actions have consequences."
    I know that eventually I would lose it and just lash out. I guess Reverend Robertson figures God is a lot like us.

13. Nov 11, 2005 #12
    here's some more from Bill Blum's latest anti-empire report:
    yeah, how was that not a thought crime?
    here's other stuff from that article that i thought was pretty shocking

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  14. Nov 11, 2005 #13
    Pat Robertson: Suffering from Psychosis or a Publicity Stunt

Just when I thought that the U.S. Chistian movement had reached bottom in terms of realism and practicality, Pat Robertson comes out with his latest remarks. Now these "remarks" can be taken in either of two ways: either he is suffering from a form of psychosis, or he is making these inflammatory and "threatening" statements to rally his base for more financial support.

Literally, he could be mentally ill. Such statements are common in various psychotic states. He should be immediately tested. I mean, even if he made a statement about UFO's were coming to take these people away, supporters could still argue he is of sound mind. His statement went too far, and also follows comments he made recently calling for the aasassination of President Chavez.

As a man of his position and influence, I do not believe the U.S. government and FBI can sit idle and allow such a still influential figure over several million Americans to make such threatening statements, which one could construe, as a "directive" to radical religious right operatives to take action against this town and school board. His statements certainly now have jeophardized the peace and security of that town, and is coming real close to apparent TV directives used by bin Laden to carry out violence.

The Feds and doctors must take a good look at Pat Robertson.

15. Nov 11, 2005 #14
    Who's pat robertson and why does this matter?

16. Nov 11, 2005 #15

Art

He's a terrorist the US gov't are sheltering who called for the assassination of a foreign elected leader. He's also a religious nut. (To be precise he claims to be religious. It is grossly unfair on genuinely religious people to actually give him that label)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  17. Nov 11, 2005 #16
    If he is representative of God, the poor, meek and suffering are headed for a Fall.

18. Nov 11, 2005 #17

Astronuc

Pat Robertson is one of the early Televangelists who use television to promote their version of religion, while accumulating personal fortunes from those who donate money to his 'religious' media empire.

Robertson started the Christian Coalition, a political organization devoted to undermining the freedom of religion and separation of church and state.

IMO, Robertson has misappropriated the term 'Christianity' using for his own perversion of religion that is nothing more than 'materialism'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Robertson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_700_Club

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Coalition

He has used some of the donations for charity work, I question the integrity of his charities.
    from Wiki - as compared to a personal fortune estimated between $200 million and $1 billion USD according to Greg Palast.

19. Nov 11, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Add that to what fourier said and are you now supporting the jailing of all those liberals mentioned in fouriers post and people such as TSM and ... well yourself?

I guess I can finally understand your point of view on life. People who go on tv and talk a lot and do nothing are terrorists while OBL and Saddam (both responsible for many hundreds of thousands of deaths) are what... civilized businessmen?

20. Nov 11, 2005 #19
    ... That may actually be the best description I've heard yet. Certainly more accurate than the usual.

21. Nov 11, 2005 #20

Evo

He's not a terrorist Smurf. He's a religious nut on tv.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?