1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Patent Attorney

1. Dec 30, 2010 #1
    I'm coming to the end of my chemistry degree (in the UK) and I've been looking into applying for jobs as a trainee patent attorney. I'm hoping that someone here can give me some valuable advice. Am I a suitable candidate? What's the competition like?

- My degree is a BSc in Chemistry, this has included a year working for a German chemical company in R&D (lab work, which I have really come to hate).

The options availabe to me now are:

1) Get a Masters degree ( 1 year, costs me at least £7k/year including living expenses).
    2) Get a PhD (3 years, paid ~ £15k/year) for which I don't need a Masters degree, BSc+experience is fine.
    3) Start applying for trainee patent attorney jobs - these are very scarce, and I imagine that competition is extremely high.

Although I will have a 1st Class degree, it's not from a particularly good university. I speak some German, and I have the opportunity this summer to go to Germany for 3-4 months (an internship, £600/month) and become fully fluent. Am I right in saying that German/French language skills are a bonus?

I have almost no money, and I don't particularly want to put myself into more debt just to study for a Masters degree.

Any advice welcomed.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted