Is Path-Connectedness Provable by Arbitrary Points in a Metric Space?

• Thread starter jessicaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, the author is trying to find a solution to a homework problem, but has some errors in his proof.
jessicaw

Homework Statement

For any S in X, show that S is path-connected if and only if there exists p in S such that any point x in S can be joined to p by a path.

Homework Equations

A metric space is path connected if any 2 points can be joined by a path in that metric space.

The Attempt at a Solution

If part: Well..if there exists such p, let a joined to p and b joined to p, then a can be joined to b, so arbitary a,b can be joined?
Only if part: Now any 2 points can be joined by a path in that metric space, so let p be a fixed point lying on the path of ab, so p can be joined to a and can be joined to b, so p can be joined to every point?The above is an attempt but there is some errors in the proof, can you check my attempt? Also i think this question is not so easy(i believe the proof should require use of advanced stuff like continuous function, 2 valued, [0,1],...and the like), right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The if-part seems correct.
For the only if part, you take p lying on the path from a to b, and then you show a and b can be joined to p. But you have to show that EVERY point can be joined to p. You've only shown it for a and b. Or did I miss something?

micromass said:
The if-part seems correct.
For the only if part, you take p lying on the path from a to b, and then you show a and b can be joined to p. But you have to show that EVERY point can be joined to p. You've only shown it for a and b. Or did I miss something?

Yes i am concerned about this. My argument is a certain path connecting arbitray a,b. can be created so that p, being a fixed point, lies on this path connecting arbitray a,b.

But won't it be easier to take p arbitrary. And then showing that every point can be connected to p? Just use path-connectedness...

1. What is the path connectness problem?

The path connectness problem is a mathematical concept that determines whether two points in a space can be connected by a continuous path. It is also known as the path-connectedness problem or the Jordan curve theorem.

2. How is the path connectness problem solved?

The path connectness problem is solved by examining the topological properties of the space in question. This includes looking at the number of connected components, the existence of holes, and the continuity of the space.

3. What is the difference between path connectness and connectedness?

Path connectness refers to the ability to connect two points with a continuous path, while connectedness refers to the property of a set being in one piece. A set can be connected without being path-connected, but a set that is path-connected is always connected.

4. What are some real-world applications of the path connectness problem?

The path connectness problem has applications in various fields, such as robotics, computer graphics, and geographic information systems. For example, in robotics, the problem is used to determine the path a robot should take to reach a certain point without obstacles in its way.

5. Are there any limitations to the path connectness problem?

Yes, there are limitations to the path connectness problem. It only applies to spaces that have topological properties, such as being Hausdorff and locally compact. It also does not consider obstacles or barriers that may affect the ability to create a continuous path between two points.