1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path for long-erm UE

Tags:
  1. Mar 28, 2014 #1
    I am not the typical long term UE that you may be thinking. I am 40 years old and have not worked much in the last 10 years at all, and even that was data entry, retail. Before that I delivered pizza for 5 years. Before that I had a few short stints in the late 90's doing stuff like Network Engineer I, warehouse work involving computers etc. So I have no real skills at all. I did try to learn a bunch of web development stuff over the last 8 years, but that did not pan out too well. The projects I did were never even looked at by HR after they found I did not meet the basic requirements. You may say I should do my own thing, but that involves learning design, sales, marketing etc; its just too much for me, plus I still have not had a "great idea" yet.
    Anyway, I have started learning Physics lately and become quite obsessed. I took Physics I and II while getting my math degree some 15 years ago, and got decent grades, but was really just interested in playing music at that point; I never really comprehended even the most basic of concepts even though I could plug in the numbers and get the answer.
    I will admit that I get a somewhat creepy feeling when learning quantum Physics, but I am sure I can get past this.
    I would like to possibly get a PHD but I do not have any money. Is there any chance at all that I can get a "free ride" if I do good enough on the admission test? I would never consider taking loans due to the fact that I have been UE for 10 years and I feel that I have little chance of being hired because of that fact, even in academia.

edit: I cant even figure out how to indent paragraphs here. Perhaps, this is a ridiculous posting.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted