Proving Path Independence: Evaluating the Integral on a Given Curve"

• Thread starter joemama69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, To show that F is path independent, we need to evaluate the integral of F dot dr on c. The curve c is given by r(t) = (t+sin(pi)t) i + (2t + cos(pi)t) j from 0 to 1. The function F is given by F = 4x^3y^2 + 2xy^3 i + 2x^4y - 3x^2y^2 + 4y^3 j. By finding the curl of F and showing that it is equal to 0, we can use Stoke's theorem to determine that the line integral is path independent. This allows us to choose a more convenient path for integration
joemama69

Homework Statement

show that F is path independant. Then evaluate the integral F dot dr on c, where c = r(t) = (t+sin(pi)t) i + (2t + cos(pi)t) j, 0<=t<=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 4x^3y^2 + 2xy^3 i + 2x^4y - 3x^2y^2 + 4y^3 j

grad f = 12x^2y^2 + 2y^3 i + 2x^4 - 6x^2y + 12y^2 j not sure i need this

my instructor talked about numerouse way to determine path independace. which is the easiest

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean the line integral of F is path independent? All you have to do is show that the curl of F is zero. Then the result follows from Stoke's theorem.

ok so i found the curl of F
curl F = (8x^3y - 6xy^2 - 8x^3y + 6xy^2) = 0

but then the problem says to eval the integral F dot dr over the region c

when i dot them i got a extremely long expression. is this problem just a pain in the butt or did i make a boo boo

You've shown that the line integral is path independent, so you can choose a more convenient path to do the integration. What does the curve C look like? What are its endpoints?

1. How do you prove path independence in an integral?

Path independence in an integral can be proven by showing that the result of the integral is the same regardless of the path taken to evaluate it. This can be done by using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus or by directly evaluating the integral on different paths and showing that the results are equal.

2. What is the significance of proving path independence in an integral?

Proving path independence in an integral is important because it allows us to evaluate the integral using any path we choose, making the calculation simpler and more efficient. It also ensures that the result of the integral is well-defined and not dependent on the path taken.

3. Can path independence be proven for any given curve?

Path independence can be proven for any curve that is continuous and has a well-defined derivative. This means that the curve must have a continuous and differentiable function defined for it.

4. What are some common techniques used to prove path independence in an integral?

Some common techniques used to prove path independence in an integral include using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, using the definition of a derivative, and using algebraic manipulations to simplify the integral.

5. Are there any real-life applications of proving path independence in an integral?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of proving path independence in an integral. For example, in physics, path independence is used to calculate work done by a force, and in economics, it is used to calculate the value of a line integral. Additionally, path independence is also used in engineering and computer science.