1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path Independence

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f is a harmonic function, that is del^2(f)=0, show that the line integral: (integral)f_y dx - f_x dy is independent of path in any simple region D.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to rewrite the given integral as integral of Q dx - P dy, since path independence means vector field F=del f. But I don't know where it's supposed to take me...
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2
    Remember that for a conservative vector field, [tex]\nabla \times \textbf{F} = 0[/tex].
  4. Aug 5, 2008 #3

Let [tex]f_{x}=M[/tex], [tex]f_{y}=N[/tex] and f is harmonic i.e. [tex]\bigtriangledown^2f(x,y)=0[/tex], then if [tex]f(x,y)= \int_{(x_{0},y_{0}}^{(x,y)}F dr[/tex] and [tex]\bigtriangledown f= Mi + Nj[/tex], then you need to prove that [tex]\int Ndx - Mdy[/tex] is path-independent.

I believe you have to use the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
  5. Aug 5, 2008 #4
    Or you can show that [tex]\nabla^2 f = 0 \implies \nabla \times (f_y \textbf{i} - f_x \textbf{j}) = \textbf{0}[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?