1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path independence

1. Mar 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,I am trying to understand the proof attached.
    My problem is shown by a red arrow.Can someone explain those 2 steps?
    And please answer it as simply as you can...Since I haven't done multivariable calculus..It is a physics course.Thanks

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let say the integral of A(r') 。d(r') is L(r),so if you take the definite integral it becomes L(r+dr) - L(r),but in the proof they said dr is infinitesimal so dr = 0,so L(r+dr) - L(r) = 0 =/= A(r) 。d(r) ? path.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

If the integral was path dependent, then you couldn't combine the two integrals together because you could not guarantee that the integral from r to r + dr would pass through r0.

An infinitesimal dr does not mean dr = 0. It means that it is extremely small, the smallest you can get without being 0. Hence, you can consider A(r') to be constant over the interval r to r+dr and take it out of the integral.

4. Mar 24, 2016 #3
    Sorry, why if A(r') is constant then it becomes A(r) ?

5. Mar 24, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have a HW question with ∫ or ∂ in it, it's a safe bet it belongs in the Calculus HW forum. :wink:

6. Mar 24, 2016 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I mean that it is constant in the interval r to r+dr, so A(r) = A(r+dr) = A(r+dr/2), etc. By convenience, you take the value to be the one at r. A is still a function of r.

7. Mar 24, 2016 #6

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Davon. The notation in the second last formula with two ##i##s is 'Einstein notation', which is used in differential geometry. Also, the expression ##d\phi(\underline{r})## has a rigorous meaning in differential geometry but in many other uses is either a piece of notation that has no stand-alone meaning, or else just a hand-wave. This leads me to guess that the text might be written in a differential geometry context.
    Is that correct? The way of interpreting the proof is different in diff geom from what would be needed in other contexts.

8. Mar 24, 2016 #7
    Hi Andrew,it was actually part of the notes of my physics course,and I am still in my 2nd year of a physics degree so I guess it is irrelevant to the more advanced maths.My lecturer introduced Einstein notation for proving various vector identities(scalar product,vector product,curl,div,etc...)

9. Mar 24, 2016 #8

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's a way you can make the proof rigorous without any high-faluting maths:

Replace ##d\phi(\underline{r})## by ##\frac{d\phi(\underline{r}+h\underline{e}_i)}{dh}## where ##\underline{e}_i## is the ##i##th basis vector of ##\mathbb{R}^3## (I'm assuming here that the context is 3D Euclidean space).

Then on the right-hand side, divide by ##h##, replace ##d\underline{r}## by ##h\underline{e}_i##, and enclose both sides of the equation within ##\lim_{h\to 0}\Bigg(...\Bigg)##. Note that the LHS is, by definition, the ##i##th component of ##\nabla(\phi(\underline{r}))##.

Following steps similar to what's written above, but with these modifications, you should be able to deduce

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\left(\frac{d\phi(\underline{r}+h\underline{e}_i)}{dh}\right)=\underline{A}(\underline{r})\cdot\underline{e}_i$$

See how you go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted