Path Integral Occurance?

• B
  • Thread starter HexHammer
  • Start date

Summary:

Double Slit Experiment

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi forgive my very ignorant question.

How frequently does 'Path Integral', curved shot and normal shot happen out of say 100 shots with a photon?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I have no idea what that means.

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2019 Award
A "normal shot" is when the photon goes straight, but some times it will go in a curve, and then some times it will go in a crazy path making elaborate circles.
These are not descriptions of different ways a photon will go in different runs of a double slit experiment. They are descriptions of paths that are included in the path integral that calculates the probability for a photon to be detected at a particular point on the detector in a single run of the experiment. So the question you are asking in the OP is unanswerable since it's based on a misconception about what the different paths are.

Likes Vanadium 50
These are not descriptions of different ways a photon will go in different runs of a double slit experiment. They are descriptions of paths that are included in the path integral that calculates the probability for a photon to be detected at a particular point on the detector in a single run of the experiment. So the question you are asking in the OP is unanswerable since it's based on a misconception about what the different paths are.
Many thanks, that's all i needed to hear.

vanhees71
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Likes DrChinese