Path integral of Richard Feynman

In summary, after discussing Feynman's formulation of quantum mechanics and the use of the path integral, the conversation goes on to address the question of how to define the integral measure Dx and Dp. It is mentioned that this problem has been solved by Kiyosi Ito for a non-relativistic H and the Weiner Integral. However, it is noted that there may still be unresolved issues in the general case. Reilly Atkinson also brings up the work of Glimm and Streater on converting the integrals to Wiener integrals, but there is a discussion on whether there are appropriate measures in the general case. Overall, it seems that the problem of defining the integral measures in the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics
Feynman
Good morning,
After Feynman formulation's of quantum mechanics, he expressed the propagator in function of path integral by this formula:

$G(x,t;x_i,t_i)=\int\int exp{\frac{i}{\hbar}\int_{t_i}^{t}L(x,\dot{x},P)dt'}DxDp$
the question is how we can define the integral measure Dx and Dp?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, Kiyosi Ito solved the measure problem for the Feynman integral in 1960 (see Proceedings of the Fourth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, Volume II, U. Cal Press, 1961. pp 227-238) He solves the problem for a non-relativistic H for a free particle and for a particle in a constant force field. He also solves the measure problem for the Weiner Integral, essentiall the Feynman integral after a Wick rotation ( t-> it), which describes brownian motion/heat flow.

The idea is to build a sequence of probability densities (measures) for absolutely continuous trajectories, x(t), and take the appropriate limits. Very heavy math.

Ito also points out that M. Kac, and Gelfand and Yaglom had worked out rigorous approaches the Feynman's path integral. I would suspect that more has been done since that time.

Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

The most successful effort is detailed in glimm's big book wherein he converts the integrals into Wiener interals (which are properly defined) by means of what a physicist would call a"wick rotation" as mentioned above. My understading is that "cameron's thm" shows that there are no appropriate measures in the general case.

Streater has the following interesting things to say on the subject:

http://www.mth.kcl.ac.uk/~streater/lostcauses.html#IX

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Path Integral of Richard Feynman?

The Path Integral of Richard Feynman is a mathematical formulation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s and is used to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in space and time.

2. How does the Path Integral work?

The Path Integral works by summing up all possible paths a particle could take between two points in space and time. Each path is assigned a probability amplitude, and these amplitudes are then summed together to give the overall probability of the particle's behavior.

3. What is the significance of the Path Integral in quantum physics?

The Path Integral is significant in quantum physics because it provides a way to calculate the probability of a particle's behavior without having to know its exact position and momentum. It also allows for the incorporation of quantum effects, such as wave-particle duality, into calculations.

4. What are some applications of the Path Integral?

The Path Integral has various applications in quantum mechanics, such as calculating the probability of a particle tunneling through a barrier, predicting the behavior of quantum systems, and understanding the dynamics of quantum field theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the Path Integral?

While the Path Integral is a powerful tool in quantum physics, it does have some limitations. It is not applicable to all physical systems, and it can be mathematically challenging to calculate for complex systems. Additionally, it is based on the assumption that particles follow all possible paths, which may not always be accurate in real-world scenarios.