Evaluating a Path Integral: x^2+y^2+z^2

In summary, the problem involves evaluating a path integral from point a to point b, where the integral is multiplied by the terms x^2 + y^2 + z^2 and the path is a straight line. The concept of spherical symmetry can also be applied to the problem.
jinksys

Homework Statement

Evaluate the path integral [tex]\int (x^2+y^2+z^2)dr[/tex] from a =(0,0,0) to b= (3,4,5).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost. Had the dr been a ds I could do it, but my calculus book only deals with situations where [tex]\int F.dr[/tex].Edit: I figured it out, it's been a while since I've had calc 3.

I had forgotten what r represented. r = xx^ + yy^ +zz^.
You then multiply dr by x^2 + y^2 + z^2 and go parametric.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is the path a straight line?

as it may also help to note the spherical symmetry r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2

1. What is a path integral?

A path integral is a mathematical tool used in physics and mathematics to calculate the probability of a particle or system following a particular path or trajectory. It involves summing up the contributions of all possible paths between two points in space and time.

2. How is a path integral evaluated?

A path integral is evaluated by breaking down the path into small segments and calculating the contribution of each segment. These contributions are then summed up to get the total path integral. In the case of x^2+y^2+z^2, the path integral can be evaluated using the formula ∫e^(iS[x])Dx, where S[x] is the action functional and Dx represents the integration over all possible paths.

3. What is the significance of x^2+y^2+z^2 in evaluating a path integral?

In the context of evaluating a path integral, x^2+y^2+z^2 represents the action functional, which is a measure of the total energy along a particular path. It is an important factor in determining the probability of a particle or system following a specific path in space and time.

4. Can a path integral be evaluated for any type of system?

Yes, a path integral can be evaluated for any system that can be described using a Lagrangian or Hamiltonian formalism. This includes classical and quantum mechanical systems, as well as systems in statistical mechanics and field theory.

5. What are some applications of evaluating a path integral?

Path integrals have a wide range of applications in physics and mathematics. They are used to calculate the probability of particle interactions in quantum field theory, to determine the energy spectrum of molecules in quantum chemistry, and to model the behavior of complex systems in statistical mechanics, among others.