What is the functional iW[J] for a system with 2 sources or 3 sources?

In summary: As Zee explains, we can evaluate it by summing over all possible pair of sources. In particular, for a system with 2 sources or 3 sources, W(J) would be the sum of the amplitudes for all possible interactions between the sources. Its interpretation is further discussed in various textbooks on quantum field theory, such as those by Ramond, Bailin and Love, Ryder, and Feynman and Hibbs. Srednicki's textbook is also recommended for a deeper understanding of this topic. In summary, W(J) is the generating functional for the unconnected Green functions, and its evaluation involves summing over all possible source interactions.
Hymne
Hello!

I have a hard time getting to know what this exponential W(J) really is about. What is it even called?

Zee writes:

Z(J) = Z(J=0) * e^(i W(J)), and I suppose that this is the term that should be evaluated by summing over all possible pair of sources?

What is W(J) for a system with 2 sources or 3 sources?

Thanks really much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I just wrote in my notes:

"The interpretation of W(J) is that we sum the amplitudes for all possible interactions between our sources."

Could somebody with more insight maybe just give me a right or wrong here?

W(J) is called the generating functional for the unconnected Green functions. The approach to QFT based on path integrals is well explained in the QFT books written by P. Ramond, D. Bailin and A. Love, L.H. Ryder. It all can be traced back to the 1965 book by Feynman and Hibbs.

Hymne said:
Hello!

I have a hard time getting to know what this exponential W(J) really is about. What is it even called?

Thanks really much!

iW[J], when multiplied by -kT, is a functional that's equal to the difference in Helmholtz free energy of the vacuum and one with sources J (at least when using real values of time).

1. What are path integrals with sources?

Path integrals with sources are mathematical tools used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another in spacetime. It takes into account the interactions of the particle with its surroundings, represented by the source terms.

2. How are path integrals with sources different from regular path integrals?

Regular path integrals only consider the free motion of a particle, while path integrals with sources take into account the interactions with the environment. This makes them more complex, but also more accurate in describing the behavior of particles in quantum field theory.

3. What are the applications of path integrals with sources?

Path integrals with sources have a wide range of applications in theoretical physics, particularly in quantum field theory. They are used to calculate scattering amplitudes, vacuum energy, and other physical quantities in particle physics and statistical mechanics.

4. What is the mathematical foundation of path integrals with sources?

Path integrals with sources are based on the Feynman path integral formalism, which is a mathematical technique for calculating transition amplitudes in quantum mechanics. It involves summing over all possible paths a particle can take between two points in spacetime.

5. Are path integrals with sources difficult to understand?

Path integrals with sources can be challenging to grasp at first, as they involve complex mathematical concepts and require a strong understanding of quantum field theory. However, with proper study and practice, they can be understood and applied effectively in theoretical physics.