1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path of a physicist

1. Feb 17, 2016 #1
    Hello. I am a 24 yr old male who dropped out of HS in 9th grade i was young and dumb and all about partying at that time. Currently im in school at PennFoster doing the online High School they offer in order to earn my High school Diploma then am going to college for physics chemistry biology and math my major will be physics poss. Double major phys/chem. The sciences and maths that i am dong through PennFoster is General Math 1 & 2 Algebra 1&2 Calculus Consumer Math Biology Physical scuence General Science and Chemistry i was wondering if that is a good focus so far high school curriculum wise when it comes to entering this field of study. Any advidce and feedback will be appreciated. PS i am doing this post via phone so i apologize in advance for any errors in it as i tend to mess up a lot when using a cell phone to type out anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2016 #2
    Usually a good course in precalculus is advisable. Sometimes, this course might be called advanced math or algebra 3 with trig.

It is usually a mistake to rush to calculus. Even if you succeed at calculus, a lot of math needed for physics in college is really pre-calc.

If your school does not offer it, take it online through ALEKS.

4. Feb 17, 2016 #3
    Exactly. Especially today when Calculus is being taught routinely in HS. one may want to push forward too fast to get to the "good" stuff. But the battles of Calculus and Physics are often fought in the trenches of algebra/trigonometry. Not giving proper attention to them will bog you down

5. Feb 18, 2016 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wonder why, with the "algebra", "Calculus", etc., you would also take "Consumer Math" which is basically arithmetic intended for people who are not taking any "higher math".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook