1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pathria 2.4 -- show that the number of microstates available to a rigid rotor is (M/ħ)^2

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    By evaluating the "volume" of the relevant region of its phase space, show that the number of microstates available to a rigid rotor with angular momentum less or equal to M is (M/ħ)2.

2. Relevant equations
    Consider the motion in the variables θ and φ, with M^{2}=(p_{θ})2+{p_{φ}/{sin(θ)}2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just integrated the "volume": (1/h²)∫0πdθ∫0dφ∫0Mdpθ0Msinθdpφ,

For some reason I'm missing a π. Why? I'm getting a "volume" 4π(M/h)2
    Maybe I'm making a mistake in the choice of the limits of integration.

Sorry, I don't know how to write the equations in clean way.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello. Welcome to PF!

Note that while integrating over ##p_\phi##, the variable ##p_{\theta}## is fixed at some value. Using the relation ##M^2 = p_{\theta}^2 +\frac{ p_{\phi}^2}{\sin^2 \theta}##, what are the limits for the integration over ##p_{\phi}##?

(Can the angular momenta components ##p_\theta## and ##p_\phi## be negative?)

4. Jul 18, 2017 #3
    No angular momentum can't be negative so those components can't be negative either. But I don't know what the limits for p_phi are supposed to be. (I'm also having trouble with this problem.)

5. Jul 19, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The components of angular momentum can be negative as well as positive.

For the limits of integration, it might help to consider a simpler, but similar, problem. Suppose you have a single particle moving in two dimensions. In Cartesian coordinates the magnitude of linear momentum, p, is related to the components of momentum, px and py, by

p2 = px2 + py2.

Suppose you want to integrate over the momentum portion of phase space to get the "volume" corresponding to all momentum values 0 < p < P0. How would you choose the limits of integration in ∫dpy ∫dpx?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted