1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paths in vector calculus

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    Let c(t )=(2t,sint,cost) be a path. Describe the shape and orientation of this path

Describe the shape and orientation between points (0,0,1) and (pi,1,0)

I have no idea how to figure out the shape of a curve from its path and my book is only confusing me. Please help!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi calculusisrad! :smile:
    do the easy bit first …

ignore the x coordinate (ie look at it from the x direction, or project it onto a yz plane) …

what does it look like in 2D ? :wink:

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    I would suggest, perhaps, exploring these functions in fewer dimensions than 3. For example, you are familiar with a plot of two coordinates like so:
    x = t
    y = f(t)
    Plotting the above in an xy plot is the equivalent to y = f(x).

Maybe you're confused, because the graph of the answer does not have "output" versus "independent variable" like you usually have done. Instead, you have output on the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis. The independent variable is not graphed.

Think to yourself along each axis separately and then fuse the results together in your head. I am assuming your vectors are <x, y, z>. What are the values of x doing as t marches upward? What are the values of y doing as t marches upward? What about the values of z? Can you at least plot an xy slice? Is the yz slice confusing you?

You're not really easy to help since you haven't stated your confusion.

Google complex exponential graph.

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4
    Thanks you so much for responding!!! But you guys seems to just be telling me how to graph the function. But its a path, and paths map out the actual function in some weird way I don't understand. Don't I need to take that into account? I'm sorry, I just really don't understand paths at all. I could be completely wrong in my interpretation of the problem.

6. Apr 2, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi calculusisrad! :wink:
    basically, a path is a curve: add an arrow to it to show the direction of increasing t

start with the 2D version in this case …

what does the path look like? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook