Understanding the Shape and Orientation of a Path in Vector Calculus

In summary, the path described by c(t)=(2t,sint,cost) is a curve in three dimensions with a 2D version that resembles a sine wave. The orientation of the path is determined by the direction of increasing t, which can be shown with an arrow. However, it may be helpful to first consider the 2D version of the path by ignoring the x coordinate and looking at it from the x direction or projecting it onto a yz plane.
calculusisrad
Let c(t )=(2t,sint,cost) be a path. Describe the shape and orientation of this path

Describe the shape and orientation between points (0,0,1) and (pi,1,0)

I have no idea how to figure out the shape of a curve from its path and my book is only confusing me. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi calculusisrad! :smile:
calculusisrad said:
Let c(t )=(2t,sint,cost) be a path. Describe the shape and orientation of this path

do the easy bit first …

ignore the x coordinate (ie look at it from the x direction, or project it onto a yz plane) …

what does it look like in 2D ? :wink:

I would suggest, perhaps, exploring these functions in fewer dimensions than 3. For example, you are familiar with a plot of two coordinates like so:
x = t
y = f(t)
Plotting the above in an xy plot is the equivalent to y = f(x).

Maybe you're confused, because the graph of the answer does not have "output" versus "independent variable" like you usually have done. Instead, you have output on the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis. The independent variable is not graphed.

Think to yourself along each axis separately and then fuse the results together in your head. I am assuming your vectors are <x, y, z>. What are the values of x doing as t marches upward? What are the values of y doing as t marches upward? What about the values of z? Can you at least plot an xy slice? Is the yz slice confusing you?

You're not really easy to help since you haven't stated your confusion.

Google complex exponential graph.

Thanks you so much for responding! But you guys seems to just be telling me how to graph the function. But its a path, and paths map out the actual function in some weird way I don't understand. Don't I need to take that into account? I'm sorry, I just really don't understand paths at all. I could be completely wrong in my interpretation of the problem.

hi calculusisrad! :wink:
calculusisrad said:
… its a path, and paths map out the actual function in some weird way I don't understand. Don't I need to take that into account?

basically, a path is a curve: add an arrow to it to show the direction of increasing t

start with the 2D version in this case …

what does the path look like? :smile:

1. What is a path in vector calculus?

A path in vector calculus is a curve that is defined by a vector function, where the input is a variable (usually denoted as t) and the output is a vector with components x, y, and z. This curve can represent the motion or trajectory of an object in three-dimensional space.

2. How are paths represented in vector calculus?

Paths in vector calculus are typically represented using vector-valued functions, also known as parametric equations. These equations take the form of r(t) = , where x(t), y(t), and z(t) are functions of the variable t. This allows for a more flexible representation of curves in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the importance of paths in vector calculus?

Paths are important in vector calculus because they allow us to study the behavior of objects in motion. By analyzing the derivatives and integrals of a path, we can determine the velocity, acceleration, and displacement of an object at any given point along the path. This is useful in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How are derivatives and integrals used to study paths in vector calculus?

The derivative of a path in vector calculus represents the tangent vector to the curve at a given point. This allows us to determine the rate of change of the object's position, velocity, and acceleration. Integrals, on the other hand, can be used to calculate the total displacement or distance traveled along a path. By using derivatives and integrals, we can gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of objects in motion.

5. Can paths in vector calculus be represented in higher dimensions?

Yes, paths in vector calculus can be represented in any number of dimensions. While they are commonly used to study curves in three-dimensional space, they can also be applied to higher dimensions. In fact, vector calculus is often used in fields such as computer graphics and robotics to model and manipulate objects in higher dimensions.