Paths of Objects in GR: Acceleration vs Constant Velocity

• Thread starter Swapnil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, according to Einstein's picture of curved space-time, an unaccelerated object moves in a straight line, while an accelerated object's path will be a curved path. The difference between the two paths is due to the curvature of space-time around the object.
Swapnil
In words, how would a path of an object moving in a straight line with a constant velocity differ from the path of an accelerating object moving in a straight line according to Einstein's picture of curved space-time?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you already know that the object moves in a straight line in both cases, then...it moves in a straight line in both cases! The path is the same!

However, concerning space-time's shape around the object, I think it's not even bent, if the acceleration is constant, but it's only an intuitive idea I have in this moment; I really would like to know something more about it, because I don't have, practically, any knowledge of general relativity.

Last edited:
Swapnil said:
In words, how would a path of an object moving in a straight line with a constant velocity differ from the path of an accelerating object moving in a straight line according to Einstein's picture of curved space-time?

A unaccelerated body would fillow a geodesic (no literally straight lines in a curved geometry!) The path would look locally straight in three dimensions and it would also be linear in time.

An accelerated body's path would not be a geodesic; although it might look the same in three dimensions, it would bend in the time direction.

selfAdjoint said:
no[t] literally straight lines in a curved geometry!

Isn't a geodesic the definition of a straight line in a curved geometry?

No. A straight line is a geodesic in geometries that admit them but, in general, a geodesic in not a straight line. You may be thinking that geodesics have the properties of straight lines (shortest distance between two points) and some people do use the terms "straight line" for a general geodesic but, in my opinion, that's an unfortunate abuse of terminology.

selfAdjoint said:
A unaccelerated body would fillow a geodesic (no literally straight lines in a curved geometry!) The path would look locally straight in three dimensions and it would also be linear in time.

An accelerated body's path would not be a geodesic; although it might look the same in three dimensions, it would bend in the time direction.
I see, but I don't "see." Is there a more visual way to see the difference between the paths of the two objects. Maybe by an analogy or something...

If you follow your nose, without turning your head, you are following a geodesic path.

This is a less technical way of saying that a geodesic curve "parallel transports" a vector (represented in this case by a line from the middle of your head to the tip of your nose) that is intitally tangent along a path (pointing in the direction that you are walking) so that it remains tangent along the path.

There are some more technical explanations in http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/gr/outline2.html which explain this in more detail to make it more precise.

A geodesic also usually extremizes an action function - in the case of space-time, a geodesic extremizes proper time. This usually means that a geodesic path has a longer proper time than any neighboring path.

Swapnil said:
I see, but I don't "see." Is there a more visual way to see the difference between the paths of the two objects. Maybe by an analogy or something...

Well let's see. In order to simplify, let's drop the curvature stipulation and consider what happens in "flat" Minkowski spacetime; and to make it more visual, let's consider a reduced dimension picture in which the spatial part is only two- and not three-dimensional, and time is represented by the third dimension.

So consider an unaccelerated body moving from (0,0) to (4,3) in time 1 (using whatever compatible units you like). The distance, by Pythagoras in this 3-4-5 triangle in the plane is 5 units. and the 4-displacement by Minkowki is [tex]\sqrt{-t^2 + s^2} = \sqrt{-1 + 25} = 2\sqrt{6}[/tex], measured along a straight line in the t-x-y solid. The straightness is the spacetime geometric fact that corresponds to the dynamic fact of no acceleration.

Now suppose the body is accelerated along the same line with constant acceleration 2 (i.e. 2 space units per time unit squared). So in the same span of time 1 its speed will increase from the original 5 to 10, and in the t-s plane the equation of its path will be [tex]t^2 - 2s^2[/tex], a parabola. The curvature of the path in spacetime is the geometric fact that corresponds to the presence of an acceleration.

Does that help any?

1. What is the difference between acceleration and constant velocity in the context of GR?

In the theory of General Relativity (GR), acceleration refers to the change in the rate of motion of an object, while constant velocity refers to the movement of an object at a consistent speed and direction. In GR, acceleration is described by the curvature of spacetime, while constant velocity is described as motion along a straight line in curved spacetime.

2. How does the concept of spacetime curvature affect the path of an accelerating object in GR?

In GR, the presence of mass and energy causes spacetime to curve, which in turn affects the path of an accelerating object. The object will follow a curved path in spacetime, which is influenced by the distribution of mass and energy in the surrounding space.

3. Can an object maintain a constant velocity in GR without experiencing any acceleration?

No, in GR, an object cannot maintain a constant velocity without experiencing some form of acceleration. This is because any motion in spacetime is affected by the curvature of spacetime, which results in an object experiencing some form of acceleration, even if it is moving at a constant speed and direction.

4. What is the significance of the Equivalence Principle in understanding the paths of objects in GR?

The Equivalence Principle is a fundamental concept in GR that states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. This principle helps us understand that, in GR, the path of an object is influenced by the curvature of spacetime caused by the distribution of mass and energy, rather than a force acting upon it.

5. Can the paths of objects in GR be predicted and calculated accurately?

Yes, the paths of objects in GR can be predicted and calculated accurately using the field equations of GR, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of mass and energy. However, the calculations can become complex when considering multiple objects and their interactions in spacetime.