Can a Matrix-Valued Function h Exist with Given Properties in GL^+(n,R)?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks, what I am actually trying to do is to start with any matrix A with DetA>0 and show it can be continuously-deformed into any other matrix B with DetB>0 , and the deformation is done within GL^+(2,R), i.e., I am trying to show GL^+(2,R) , as a Lie group (with the subspace topology of R^4)is path-connected. I think using elementary row operations--seen as continuous maps-- the right way , transforming A into the Id is /gives us the path between A and the Id, showing path-connectedness . Still, we need to find row operations that preserve the sign of Det.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all, I am trying to construct a continuous matrix-valued function h=h(f,g) ; f,g in C^1[a,b],all defined in an open interval (a,b) on the Real line with some given properties, or at least I want to show that the function exists . I have/know that for a,b in [a,b], both Det(h(a))>0 and Det(h(b))>0 . Then I want, for all t in (a,b), that the determinant of :

[tex] A=
\begin{pmatrix}
f(t) & g(t) \\
f '(t)& g'(t) \\

\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

will be positive . I am trying to use that GL(n,R) has two connected components; GL^+ and
Gl^- ;matrices with positive and negative determinant respectively (e.g., use the fact that
Gaussian elimination can take any A in GL^+ into the Id. ).

Then I think can argue that since f,g ;f',g' are continuous by assumption, the map h(f,g) is
itself also continuous , so that h[a,b] -- remember here that [a,b] is an interval in the real line--is connected, and so h[a,b] must then lie in GL^+(n,R), for all t in [a,b], i.e., Det(h[a,b])>0.
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi all, I am trying to construct a continuous matrix-valued function h=h(f,g) ; f,g in C^1[a,b],all defined in an open interval (a,b) on the Real line with some given properties, or at least I want to show that the function exists . I have/know that for a,b in [a,b], both Det(h(a))>0 and Det(h(b))>0 . Then I want, for all t in (a,b), that the determinant of :

[tex] A=
\begin{pmatrix}
f(t) & g(t) \\
f '(t)& g'(t) \\

\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

will be positive . I am trying to use that GL(n,R) has two connected components; GL^+ and
Gl^- ;matrices with positive and negative determinant respectively (e.g., use the fact that
Gaussian elimination can take any A in GL^+ into the Id. ).

Then I think can argue that since f,g ;f',g' are continuous by assumption, the map h(f,g) is
itself also continuous , so that h[a,b] -- remember here that [a,b] is an interval in the real line--is connected, and so h[a,b] must then lie in GL^+(n,R), for all t in [a,b], i.e., Det(h[a,b])>0.
Is this right?
Consider the function [tex]h:C^1([a,b])\times C^1([a,b])\to GL_1^+(\mathbb{R})\cong\mathbb{R}_+,~(f,g)\mapsto\left\{\begin{matrix}2 & \text{if } f(0)+g(0)\in\mathbb{Q} \\ 1 & \text{if } f(0)+g(0)\not\in\mathbb{Q}\end{matrix}\right.~.[/tex]

The determinant of the [itex]1\times 1[/itex] matrix [itex]h(f,g)[/itex] is always greater than 0, and the function is nowhere continuous.

Why is [itex]A[/itex] important in this? It seems unrelated.

Thanks, what I am actually trying to do is to start with any matrix A with DetA>0 and show it can be continuously-deformed into any other matrix B with DetB>0 , and the deformation is done within GL^+(2,R), i.e., I am trying to show GL^+(2,R) , as a Lie group (with the subspace topology of R^4)is path-connected. I think using elementary row operations--seen as continuous maps-- the right way , transforming A into the Id is /gives us the path between A and the Id, showing path-connectedness . Still, we need to find row operations that preserve the sign of Det.
I am trying to construct a collection of continuous functions parametrized by an interval , taking A to Id, i.e., a path between A and Id., to show GL^+(2,R) is path-connected (obviously this holds for GL(n,R) for all natural n) .Sorry for being unclear; I am typing with an OSK.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Thanks, what I am actually trying to do is to start with any matrix A with DetA>0 and show it can be continuously-deformed into any other matrix B with DetB>0 , and the deformation is done within GL^+(2,R), i.e., I am trying to show GL^+(2,R) , as a Lie group (with the subspace topology of R^4)is path-connected. I think using elementary row operations--seen as continuous maps-- the right way , transforming A into the Id is /gives us the path between A and the Id, showing path-connectedness . Still, we need to find row operations that preserve the sign of Det.
I am trying to construct a collection of continuous functions parametrized by an interval , taking A to Id, i.e., a path between A and Id., to show GL^+(2,R) is path-connected (obviously this holds for GL(n,R) for all natural n).
When in doubt, check Stack Exchange.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dragon; and they also proved path-connectedness, good ref.

1. What is GL+(n,R)?

GL+(n,R) is the group of invertible n x n matrices with real entries. It is also known as the general linear group of degree n over the real numbers.

2. What are paths within GL+(n,R)?

Paths within GL+(n,R) refer to continuous curves connecting two matrices in the group. A path can be described as a continuous function from the interval [0,1] to GL+(n,R).

3. Why are paths within GL+(n,R) important?

Paths within GL+(n,R) play a crucial role in understanding the structure and properties of the group. They allow us to study how matrices in the group can be transformed into each other through continuous movements.

4. What is the significance of paths within GL+(n,R) in applications?

Paths within GL+(n,R) have various applications in fields such as physics, computer graphics, and robotics. They are used to represent transformations and motions in 3D space, making them essential in computer simulations and modeling.

5. Are there any limitations to paths within GL+(n,R)?

One limitation is that paths within GL+(n,R) can only connect matrices in the same group. This means that transformations between matrices in different groups, such as GL(n,C) or GL(n,Q), cannot be represented by paths within GL+(n,R).