Paticle accelerator in space ship help pls

In summary: The true energy of the ball is a combination of the energy from your throw and the energy from the car's motion. If the ball hit a passenger in the car, it would not have as much impact because the passenger is moving away from the ball at the same speed as the car. However, if the ball flew out of the car and hit someone standing on the side of the road, it would have a greater impact because the person is not moving at the same speed as the ball. This is due to the combination of the ball's velocity and the car's velocity. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute motion and how it relates to the energy input in a particle accelerator.
rab99
Referring to fig 1

I have a particle accelerator in a space ship. The accelerator part is a point A and the particles are accelerated to point B. The velocity of the particles is measured by the observer at D and the energy input is measured by a meter at E.

All of the points and the observer are at rest wrt the space ship

V is the velocity of the spaceship which of course will be unknown to the observer.

I want to try an experiment to see if the observer can tell if he is moving.

While the spaceship is stationary on the launch pad the observer accelerates a particle up 0.99c as measured by the observer and measures the energy required. Let's say the energy to do this is X

While the spaceship is still stationary on the launch pad the observer turns the accelerator through 180 degrees so point B is now where point A used to be and point A is where point B used to be. The observer again accelerates a particle up 0.99c as measured by the observer and measures the energy required. Let's say the energy to do this is Y

Will Y be equal to X I think it would be does anyone disagree?

Finally the rocket takes off and accelerate until it reaches it terminal velocity at which time it will achieve a constant velocity.

The observer now accelerates a particle up 0.99c as measured by the observer and measures the energy to required. Let's say the energy to do this is W.

The observer again turns the accelerator through 180 degrees so point B is now where point A used to be and point A is where point B used to be. The observer again accelerates a particle up 0.99c as measured by the observer and measures the energy required. Let's say the energy to do this is Z.

Assume the spaceship is traveling at a velocity of 0.5c

Is
X = Y
Z = X
W = X

will all the energy measurements be the same. If they are not then the observer will think two things
1 something is broken
2 I must be moving and the velocity on me moving is adding or subtracting from the velocity of the particle thus requiring less or more energy to accelerate it.

Attachments

• fig 1.JPG
    fig 1.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 294
Physics news on Phys.org
Because your observer and apparatus are all in the same inertial reference frame both before launch and after acceleration to 0.5c the results of the experiment will be the same in both cases. Thus you will be unable to determine from this exercise that you are in motion without reference to an outside frame.

Having read some of your other posts I have to say you are persistant. This is a good thing in many ways. But believe me, many, many people have tried to think of ways to prove some form of absolute motion without success. Unless you stumble on some new physics you are doomed to failure.

It appears you are assuming there is some absolute reference frame in which one can say the velocity of the spaceship is V. No such absolute reference frame exists.

Ignoring gravity, X=Y=W=Z. (Since the vehicle is initially sitting on a launch pad, X will differ from Y by some amount, most likely an immeasurably small amount.)

Im persistent because I know at the core of my being the science is wrong

In a particle accelerator energy input is directly proportional to the absolute velocity of the particle not its relative velocity. Keep in mind that particles are ballistic the velocity of the frame adds to the velocity of the particle at rest within that frame. It is irrelevenat if an observer within that frame doesn't know they are moving are know the velocity of the frame. The velocity still adds, just cos it is unknown is irrelevant.

You are in a moving car and you throw a ball you see the ball moving at the speed of your throw. An observer standing on the side of the road see the ball moving much faster as the speed of the moving car adds to the speed of the ball. The true energy that the ball contains is energy from the car and energy from the throw. If the ball hit a pasenger in the car it wouldn't hurt much as the passenger is moving away from the ball at the same velocity as the car. If the ball flew through the window of the car and hit the dude on the road it would knock him over. What is the true energy of the ball . Did the energy of the ball miraculaously increase as it flew from inside the car (one frame of reference) to oustside the car (a different frame of reference) ?

If energy was proportional to reltive velocity it would be possible to accelerate a particle faster than c. ie get in a spaceship travel east at 0.5 c and accelerate the particle easterly at 0.7c the particle is now traveling faster than c which would require infinite energy!

Ignoring gravity demostrate to me why I should accept your answer ?

I think you should be a little more accurate an absolute frame of refernce doesn't exist YET. I love absolute statements in science they make me laugh

rab99 said:
In a particle accelerator energy input is directly proportional to the absolute velocity of the particle not its relative velocity. Keep in mind that particles are ballistic the velocity of the frame adds to the velocity of the particle at rest within that frame.
Both of these statements are incorrect. There is no such thing as absolute velocity, and at relativistic speeds velocities are not additive. You can do as many erroneous thought experiments as you want. Physicists have done real experiments that prove that velocities do not add at relativistic speeds.

rab99 said:
You are in a moving car and you throw a ball you see the ball moving at the speed of your throw. An observer standing on the side of the road see the ball moving much faster as the speed of the moving car adds to the speed of the ball. The true energy that the ball contains is energy from the car and energy from the throw.
Your understanding of relativity is fatally flawed. Both observers (inside & outside the car) are correct, this is the essence of special relativity. Even though the calculated energy of the ball differs between difference reference frames all the energy values are correct in that reference frame. The only calculation that will not differ between the different reference frame traveling at different velocities is the invariant mass i.e. calculated in the ball's rest frame.
rab99 said:
If the ball hit a pasenger in the car it wouldn't hurt much as the passenger is moving away from the ball at the same velocity as the car. If the ball flew through the window of the car and hit the dude on the road it would knock him over. What is the true energy of the ball . Did the energy of the ball miraculaously increase as it flew from inside the car (one frame of reference) to oustside the car (a different frame of reference) ?
No, the energy didn't 'miraculously' increase in energy. The measured energy of the ball depends on the relative motion of the reference frames
rab99 said:
I think you should be a little more accurate an absolute frame of refernce doesn't exist YET
Okay, in future we shall make predictions based on an as yet unknown theory :yuck:. Tell me, how shall we analyse phenomina if not using current theory?

I'm not going to bother replying to the rest of your post. I suggest you start by learning some physics. Once you understand current theory, then you may 'challenge' it, but right now you don't understand the theory you are trying to disprove. Perhaps if you understood it you might accept it.

rab99 said:
V is the velocity of the spaceship which of course will be unknown to the observer.

I want to try an experiment to see if the observer can tell if he is moving.
The first thing you have to accept is that there is no such thing as absolute motion.

rab99 said:
Im persistent because I know at the core of my being the science is wrong...

I love absolute statements in science they make me laugh
And I love irony. Nevertheless, Special Relativity has been thoroughly tested in its hundred years of existence. The flaw that you think exists would be huge(one of the two main postulates!) if, in fact, it did exist. It doesn't. You are wasting our time and yours.

I would also like to point out to you that this forum has a rule against posting unverified personal theories. You continually violate this rule. Please stop.

[edit] You have a lot to learn about physics:
You are in a moving car and you throw a ball you see the ball moving at the speed of your throw. An observer standing on the side of the road see the ball moving much faster as the speed of the moving car adds to the speed of the ball. The true energy that the ball contains is energy from the car and energy from the throw. [emphasis added]
Before you start to tackle Einstein's Relativity, you will need to learn about how Galileo described the universe. Your understanding of that is wrong as well and Galilean relativity is an important precurser to Einsteinian.

Last edited:

What is a particle accelerator in a space ship?

A particle accelerator in a space ship is a device that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate and guide charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to high speeds. This can be used for various purposes, such as conducting experiments, generating energy, or propelling the spacecraft.

How does a particle accelerator in a space ship work?

A particle accelerator in a space ship uses a series of accelerating structures, such as radio frequency cavities, to increase the speed of charged particles. The particles are then guided and focused using magnets and directed towards a target or used for energy production.

What are the benefits of having a particle accelerator in a space ship?

Having a particle accelerator in a space ship can provide several benefits. It can help scientists conduct experiments in microgravity conditions, generate energy for the spacecraft, or propel the spacecraft at high speeds. It can also potentially be used for radiation shielding and protection against cosmic rays.

Are there any risks associated with using a particle accelerator in a space ship?

There are some potential risks associated with using a particle accelerator in a space ship. The high energy particles produced by the accelerator could damage sensitive equipment on board or cause harm to the crew if not properly shielded. Additionally, the technology is still relatively new and requires careful monitoring and maintenance.

Is a particle accelerator necessary for space travel?

No, a particle accelerator is not necessary for space travel. However, it can provide useful capabilities for certain missions and research projects. There are alternative methods for achieving similar results, but a particle accelerator can be a valuable tool for space exploration and experimentation.