What is the equation for predicting the middle number in Pascal's triangle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an equation to predict the middle number in Pascal's triangle, specifically in the rows with an odd number of numbers. The conversation also mentions looking at the preceding row and noticing a pattern with the first and last numbers, as well as providing examples of the middle numbers in different rows. The suggested equation is \frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!}, and a link to more values and a related sequence is provided.
gnome222
I am trying to find the equation to predict the next middle number in pascal's triangle. By middle number I mean in each row that has odd number of numbers the middle number of that row. So for example row 6 which has 1,6,15,20( middle number), 15,6,1. I am trying to find that middle number, but without any luck. Any suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
gnome222 said:
I am trying to find the equation to predict the next middle number in pascal's triangle. By middle number I mean in each row that has odd number of numbers the middle number of that row. So for example row 6 which has 1,6,15,20( middle number), 15,6,1. I am trying to find that middle number, but without any luck. Any suggestions?
Look at the row immediately preceding, that is row 5. Do you notice anything special relating the numbers in row 5 to the numbers in row 6? The first and last number in each row is, of course, 1.

You know that the number in Pascal's triangle, row n, place k (k=0 to n), is given by [itex]\frac{n!}{k!(n-k)!} [/itex]?

gnome222 said:
numbers 2, 6, 20, 70, 252
And then: 924, 3432, 1287, 48620, 184756, 705432

1. What is the pattern in Pascal's triangle?

The pattern in Pascal's triangle is a triangular array of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers above it. The first and last numbers in each row are always 1, and the remaining numbers are found by adding the two numbers above them.

2. How is Pascal's triangle related to binomial coefficients?

Pascal's triangle is closely related to binomial coefficients, as the numbers in each row represent the coefficients in the expansion of (a + b)^n, where n is the row number. For example, the third row of Pascal's triangle (1 3 3 1) represents the coefficients in the expansion of (a + b)^3, which is 1a^3 + 3a^2b + 3ab^2 + 1b^3.

3. What is the significance of Pascal's triangle in mathematics?

Pascal's triangle has many applications in mathematics, including in combinatorics, probability, and binomial theorem. It also has connections to other mathematical concepts such as Fibonacci sequence and the Sierpinski triangle.

4. How many rows does Pascal's triangle have?

Pascal's triangle has an infinite number of rows, as it can continue to be expanded infinitely by following the pattern of adding the two numbers above to get the next number in the row.

5. What is the sum of the numbers in each row of Pascal's triangle?

The sum of the numbers in each row of Pascal's triangle is equal to 2^n, where n is the row number. For example, the sum of the numbers in the fifth row (1 4 6 4 1) is 2^5 = 32.