1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Patty Question

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two Veggie patties, in contact with each other are being pushed across a grill. the masses are 113 g and 139 g. Friction is negligible. The applied horizontal force of magnitude is 5.38 x 10 ^-2 N is exerted on the more massive burger. Determine a) the magnitude of the acceleratio nof the two burger system and b) magnitude of the force exerted by each of the two burgers on the other.

i know someone posted this here but i checked that thread, the method is not provided there.

2. Relevant equations

EF = ma
    Fg = mg

Answer at the back:
    a = 0.21
    F = 2.41 x 10^-2

3. The attempt at a solution

Found acceleration which is 0.21 N/kg.
    Dunno how to find the magnitude of the force of B/a or A/B.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2
    You probably used the first equation to do part a. Why do you think the second equation is useful?
  4. Oct 26, 2008 #3

Its useful because u need to find the vertical forces.

For the upper patty, it would be:

EF = ma = 0
    Fg - Fn - F bottom/top = 0
    Fg = Fn + F bottom/top

I dont know if that is correct tho. Is there a normal force, as friction is 0?
  5. Oct 26, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What would be the net horizontal force on the small patty, given its acceleration and mass?
  6. Oct 26, 2008 #5

The net horizontal force is given. its 5.39 x 10^-2 N. There is no friction.
  7. Oct 26, 2008 #6

NVM i got the answer lol. i misread the question. Thanks for ur help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?