Paul Martin: Minority Government Will Work

• News
  • Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
In summary, Paul Martin believes a minority Government will work. This is going to be interesting since Layton promised that he will make sure the NDP beliefs will be included.
Dagenais
Paul Martin believes a minority Government will work. This is going to be interesting since Layton promised that he will make sure the NDP beliefs will be included.

It'll be very interesting until the next election:

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/29/canada/martin_040629

"I think what we have got is a stable minority government," he said. "Minority governments can work and I do believe minority governments can have mandates and I do believe we have a mandate to act on the program we set out."

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do the Libs and the NDP now have enough seats to govern? Earlier today it looked like they were still a few seats shy.

What do you mean? Canada's next Government is the Liberal Minority.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/28/elxn_call040628

I'm surprised with the Bloc's showing this time around. But I am glad Harper and the Conservatives got way less that they hoped for.

The Liberals have 135 seats in the house, and the NDP have 22. So as long as the NDP lend their support, they should be able to pass what bills they want.

Agreed, I'm thrilled that Harper didn't get in, but I'm surprised they got as few votes as they did.

Agreed, I'm thrilled that Harper didn't get in, but I'm surprised they got as few votes as they did.

Harper scared quite a few people, with his whole theory of dumping large sums of money into the military. It also seemed that he wanted to run Canada, almost the same way Bush is running America. At least, during the debate.

From the Conservative Party of Canada and the National Post website:

While the Liberals are wrapping themselves in the flag and engaging in shrill fear-mongering -- falsely accusing the Conservatives of secret plots to end abortion, buy aircraft carriers, end bilingualism and who knows what else

http://www.conservative.ca/english/index.asp

That's funny. That "end" bilingualism part was bound to piss off Quebec. The Bloc Quebecois site doesn't even have an English version.

revelator said:
The Liberals have 135 seats in the house, and the NDP have 22. So as long as the NDP lend their support, they should be able to pass what bills they want.

Actually the NPD have 19 seats so that's not enough for the Liberal's to do what they want if they formed a coalition. Anyway, though I am a Liberal supporter, I’m rather pleased that it’s a minority government.

As for the Bloc’s showing I think it’s tied for the most seats it’s ever had. I didn’t really expect that either. (sigh)
Did anyone catch the CBC coverage rather early on when the Marxist-Leninist party was leading in a riding in Toronto (I think) for a short while? Mansbridge trying to reassure the viewers that only 1% of the results have been counted. Hilarious!

True, my bad, I saw the final counts a little while ago.

I know my riding started off to an early communist lead, didnt last long though. Hehe.

So then the Liberals and NDP can't guarantee a vote on contentious issues and they'll have to deal. Sounds like the US Senate.

1. What is a minority government?

A minority government is a form of government in which the ruling party or coalition does not hold a majority of seats in the legislature. This means that they must work with other parties to pass legislation and gain support for their policies.

2. How does a minority government differ from a majority government?

A majority government has more than half of the seats in the legislature, giving them the power to pass legislation and make decisions without needing the support of other parties. A minority government, on the other hand, must negotiate and compromise with other parties in order to govern effectively.

3. Why did Paul Martin predict that a minority government would work?

Paul Martin believed that a minority government would work because it forces political parties to work together and find common ground. This can lead to more inclusive and collaborative decision-making, as well as preventing one party from having too much power.

4. What are the potential challenges of a minority government?

One potential challenge of a minority government is that it can be more difficult to pass legislation and make decisions, as they must gain support from other parties. This can lead to slower progress and gridlock if parties cannot come to an agreement. There is also the risk of instability if the government loses the support of key parties.

5. How has Paul Martin's prediction about minority government played out in reality?

Paul Martin's prediction about minority government working has been proven true in some cases, as seen in Canada's 2004-2006 government under his leadership. However, it also depends on the specific dynamics and cooperation of the political parties involved. In some cases, minority governments have struggled to pass legislation and maintain stability, while others have been able to effectively govern through collaboration and compromise.