Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paul McCartney in Quebec City

1. Jul 5, 2008 #1

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

He's playing in Quebec City for free!

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html?id=3d1e2a52-5371-4997-ad5f-614eb9b6fd25

If anyone is planning a trip, definitely look up Quebec City this summer. The list of free shows is just crazy...

Luckily, I live in the city. I did enjoy my trip to Bar Harbor though. Definitely plan on going back to Bar Harbor.

(Note: Is it just me or Americans drive slower? I've driven in New York and Maine, and I found it slow. The "fast" lane is the speed limit or 5 mph over. In Ontario, the fast lane is 80-90 mph.)

(Note: My girlfriend had a cuban cigar while crossing the border. They took it from us!)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The show is coming up on Sunday night. The city is pumped and Celine Dion is jealous.

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3
  5. Jul 18, 2008 #4
    It depends on where you are in the US.

6. Jul 18, 2008 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I met some Americans the other day. They felt the same way about some place.

7. Jul 18, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I usually think the same about the Canadian drivers around here. I'm always passing them as they toddle along at just barely the speed limit. :biggrin:

Though, 90 mph would be too fast in the US. You'll definitely wind up with a pile of tickets. Depending on the actual speed limit, you can get away with going up to, but usually not over, 80 mph, or just under 10 mph over the speed limit. If you see everyone driving the speed limit or less than 5 mph over, watch for the cops...it might be an area the locals know has heavy enforcement, or where they've spotted the cops tucked away somewhere.

Since you were traveling over the July 4 holiday week(end), that would also account for slower drivers. It's really well known that cops are out much heavier than usual over major holiday weekends, so people are more cautious about driving close to the speed limit (and this is exactly why they are out during those heavy travel periods, to keep traffic slower and safer when there are more cars on the road).

8. Jul 18, 2008 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, you're right! Never thought of that.

I got pulled over in Bar Harbor. :eek:

He asked me if I had a drink, and I'm always honest so I said... "Yes, I had a glass of wine like an hour ago." Then he took all my info and went back to the car. Then I was thinking, I don't even know the drinking and driving laws here. I know I would be fine in Ontario, but in Maine I had no idea. Anyways, the cop was nice. No tickets and helped us get to where we planning on going.

9. Jul 18, 2008 #8
    As for the original idea of this thread, I think it's a spectacularly bad idea to have, not just an English main act, but British English main act on the Plains of Abraham for the 400th birthday celebration.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  10. Jul 19, 2008 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Only narrow minded Quebeccers hold that notion.

11. Jul 19, 2008 #10
    Um, no. Les Quebecois tend to be rather strident on those sorts of issues and symbolisms and representations so, yes, it's a natural question from those of us in other parts of the country anticipating the noise. :wink:

But, seriously, that would be like having British performers being the headliners at an important American Independence Day celebration. Only the Americans tossed the British out. The British conquered the French at The Plains of Abraham. It seems a bit inappropriate.

12. Jul 19, 2008 #11
    Who: Rolling Stones - British
    Where: RFK stadium in Washington, DC, where the British burned the White House and Capitol Building in 1812. They had intended to burn the city, but rain saved it.
    When: July 4th (Independence Day), 1972.

Rolling Stones 1972 tour.

13. Jul 19, 2008 #12
    Spiffy. :biggrin: However, 1972 wasn't any sort of super-duper celebration year with respect to the number of years of US independence. This is Quebec's 400th birthday celebration.

14. Jul 20, 2008 #13

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but McCartney isn't doing it for those reasons. The only ones who care in Quebec are the narrow minded separatists. Even some separatists agree with me. (Living in Quebec now so I can ask just about anyone and I do.) Trust me, most agree it's stupid.

In the end, there might be a riot today.

15. Jul 20, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Leaving to the concert area in a bit. The place is crazy packed with helicopters in the sky, the army, and police everywhere!

16. Jul 21, 2008 #15
    So, did you enjoy the concert, JasonRox?

17. Jul 21, 2008 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It was unreal! Definitely liked it.

We end up being at the back on a hill so we basically had a picnic while waiting for the concert. We can see everything from where we were. Of course, there wasn't much room for a picnic considering the number of people. Everyone in our area did not stand so it was nice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?