Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paul, the oracular, miraculous octopus!

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The World Championship in Soccer is drawing to a close (finally!), and the one commentator that deserves most praise for his pre-match analyses is..an octopus named Paul.

Living in the German town Oberhausen, he correctly predicted all cup results for Germany, by picking the right bucket to eat from.

He drew the wrath of Germany upon himself for predicting their defeat against Spain in the semi-finals, but Paul, of course, was right in his predictions.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5764787,00.html

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2010 #2
    Honestly, you have to be a record breaking idiot to get upset over which team an octopus "chooses to win"?

4. Jul 8, 2010 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, these are SPORTS fans we're talking about, leroy...

5. Jul 8, 2010 #4
    It's not an oracular octupus, it's a CURSED OCTUPUS!

6. Jul 8, 2010 #5
    Good point, but I can't be too smart putting a question mark at the end of a statement.

7. Jul 8, 2010 #6

Filip Larsen

Gold Member

I hope those people get equally upset about the 30 out of a million people who by chance alone would be equally likely to accurately predict the result of the final matches. In fact, I would bet there are at least hundreds of football fans world wide who has already accurately predicted the match results so I hope they now have the decency too stand up to their deed so the losers will have someone to rightfully blame. We should tolerate no more of this dangerous alteration of future events by these dangerous predictions. Oh, wait, does this work on the stock market too?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  8. Jul 8, 2010 #7
    And the coolness of Paul the octopus predicting the match went way down after you two posted. Cant you just accept something for being cool, without going "lol but actually" for one time, just one time?

9. Jul 8, 2010 #8
    I wonder if there is a trick to this. For example, he could be somehow induced from to eat from the box of the team that was already favored by odds setters. I recall reading somewhere that for the last world cup series his prediction success rate was about 80 percent. How does that compare with just picking the favorite every time?

10. Jul 8, 2010 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Please don't be so prosaic, Galteeth, octopi are very intelligent.
    They can even open doors by turning the knob the proper way, something I have some trouble doing on occasion.

11. Jul 8, 2010 #10
    Reminds me of the cat who "predicted" the deaths of elderly patients at a nursing home. Just don't let Puss lie on your bed!

12. Jul 9, 2010 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

:rofl:

13. Jul 9, 2010 #12

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

I wonder why they thought to call an oracular, miraculous octopus Paul.

14. Jul 9, 2010 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

15. Jul 9, 2010 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Really cute article on Paul.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100709/ap_on_fe_st/eu_germany_octopus_oracle_world_cup [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Jul 9, 2010 #15
  17. Jul 10, 2010 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Paul did it again!!

Once again, Paul ate the right mussel, Germany DID win the bronze final.

Clearly Paul is a charitable octopus, ignoring enraged Germans' desire to fry him after correctly predicting Spain's victory in the semi-finals. :smile:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  18. Jul 10, 2010 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Paul is a fastidious octopus. One, or possibly two mussels a day is more than ehough for him.

19. Jul 10, 2010 #18
    1,000,000 clams would be too much for a whale.

20. Jul 11, 2010 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes,, I would agree with you, Loren.

However, I must point out to you that 100 "top neck" clams cost only 34$, so that we are speaking of 3 million clams for the prize money, rather than just 1 million.
    Unless we get additional discounts per million; this price list doesn't say anything about that:
    http://www.crabs.net/store/price_list.htm

21. Jul 11, 2010 #20
    Just before the denoument, some animal was right. Maybe Mani

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook