Paul, the oracular, miraculous octopus!

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The World Championship in Soccer is drawing to a close (finally!), and the one commentator that deserves most praise for his pre-match analyses is..an octopus named Paul.

Living in the German town Oberhausen, he correctly predicted all cup results for Germany, by picking the right bucket to eat from.

He drew the wrath of Germany upon himself for predicting their defeat against Spain in the semi-finals, but Paul, of course, was right in his predictions.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5764787,00.html

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

His selection has been met with groans of discomfort from German football fans.
Honestly, you have to be a record breaking idiot to get upset over which team an octopus "chooses to win"?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Honestly, you have to be a record breaking idiot to get upset over which team an octopus "chooses to win"?

Well, these are SPORTS fans we're talking about, leroy...

TubbaBlubba
It's not an oracular octupus, it's a CURSED OCTUPUS!

Well, these are SPORTS fans we're talking about, leroy...

Good point, but I can't be too smart putting a question mark at the end of a statement.

Filip Larsen
Gold Member
I hope those people get equally upset about the 30 out of a million people who by chance alone would be equally likely to accurately predict the result of the final matches. In fact, I would bet there are at least hundreds of football fans world wide who has already accurately predicted the match results so I hope they now have the decency too stand up to their deed so the losers will have someone to rightfully blame. We should tolerate no more of this dangerous alteration of future events by these dangerous predictions. Oh, wait, does this work on the stock market too?

Last edited:
KalamMekhar
And the coolness of Paul the octopus predicting the match went way down after you two posted. Cant you just accept something for being cool, without going "lol but actually" for one time, just one time?

I wonder if there is a trick to this. For example, he could be somehow induced from to eat from the box of the team that was already favored by odds setters. I recall reading somewhere that for the last world cup series his prediction success rate was about 80 percent. How does that compare with just picking the favorite every time?

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I wonder if there is a trick to this. For example, he could be somehow induced from to eat from the box of the team that was already favored by odds setters. I recall reading somewhere that for the last world cup series his prediction success rate was about 80 percent. How does that compare with just picking the favorite every time?
Please don't be so prosaic, Galteeth, octopi are very intelligent.
They can even open doors by turning the knob the proper way, something I have some trouble doing on occasion.

Reminds me of the cat who "predicted" the deaths of elderly patients at a nursing home. Just don't let Puss lie on your bed!

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Reminds me of the cat who "predicted" the deaths of elderly patients at a nursing home. Just don't let Puss lie on your bed!
:rofl:

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
I wonder why they thought to call an oracular, miraculous octopus Paul.

Evo
Mentor
Really cute article on Paul.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100709/ap_on_fe_st/eu_germany_octopus_oracle_world_cup [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Paul did it again!!

Once again, Paul ate the right mussel, Germany DID win the bronze final.

Clearly Paul is a charitable octopus, ignoring enraged Germans' desire to fry him after correctly predicting Spain's victory in the semi-finals. :smile:

Last edited:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Does Paul know that he could cash a mil yun bucks?
Paul is a fastidious octopus. One, or possibly two mussels a day is more than ehough for him.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
1,000,000 clams would be too much for a whale.
Yes,, I would agree with you, Loren.

However, I must point out to you that 100 "top neck" clams cost only 34$, so that we are speaking of 3 million clams for the prize money, rather than just 1 million.
Unless we get additional discounts per million; this price list doesn't say anything about that:
http://www.crabs.net/store/price_list.htm

Just before the denoument, some animal was right. Maybe Mani

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Just before the denoument, some animal was right. Maybe Mani
Paul's beak is bigger than Mani's.

KalamMekhar
How does this octopus do it!

Evo
Mentor
I wonder if he can pick stocks or winning lottery numbers?

I wonder if he can pick stocks or winning lottery numbers?

He certainly can pick seafood.

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
And Paul strikes again!!!

Just as Paul predicted, Spain won the World Cup! :smile: