Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli Exclusion Principle

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    According to Slater determinant, can one say that two bosons are able to place in the same position X , but two fermions can not, no matter what their states are?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2012 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

It's the total wavefunction that must be antisymmetric. This includes both the position and the spin (and any other degrees of freedom that may be present, like isospin). So for example a spin up fermion and a spin down fermion can have the same X.

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks for replying, but According to Slater determinant when X1=X2 the antisymmetric wave function become zero.

5. Feb 19, 2012 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

You're mistaken, hokhani. Since you don't believe me, take a look at the Slater Determinant page in Wikipedia. There it says, "The Slater determinant arises from the consideration of a wave function for a collection of electrons, each with a wave function known as the spin-orbital, χ(x), where x denotes the position and spin of the singular electron."

Your reference may be doing the same thing: letting the notation x stand for both spin and position combined.

6. Feb 19, 2012 #5
    Thanks very much
    As i found out, there are 3 factors determining the pauli exclusion principal:
    1) Particles' positions(x,y,z)
    2) Particles' spins
    3) Particles' energy states
    Would you tell me if i am wrong?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  7. Feb 19, 2012 #6
    If scientists have entangled more than two fermions, would that violate the principal?

8. Feb 20, 2012 #7
    Excuse me; I was wrong
    In fact the third part covers the two other parts.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook