Can Slater Determinant Explain the Difference Between Bosons and Fermions?

In summary, the Slater determinant states that two bosons can occupy the same position X, but two fermions cannot due to the necessity of an antisymmetric wave function. This includes both position and spin, as well as other degrees of freedom. The Pauli exclusion principle takes into account the positions, spins, and energy states of particles, and entangling more than two fermions would not violate this principle.
hokhani
According to Slater determinant, can one say that two bosons are able to place in the same position X , but two fermions can not, no matter what their states are?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the total wavefunction that must be antisymmetric. This includes both the position and the spin (and any other degrees of freedom that may be present, like isospin). So for example a spin up fermion and a spin down fermion can have the same X.

Thanks for replying, but According to Slater determinant when X1=X2 the antisymmetric wave function become zero.

You're mistaken, hokhani. Since you don't believe me, take a look at the Slater Determinant page in Wikipedia. There it says, "The Slater determinant arises from the consideration of a wave function for a collection of electrons, each with a wave function known as the spin-orbital, χ(x), where x denotes the position and spin of the singular electron."

Your reference may be doing the same thing: letting the notation x stand for both spin and position combined.

Thanks very much
As i found out, there are 3 factors determining the pauli exclusion principal:
1) Particles' positions(x,y,z)
2) Particles' spins
3) Particles' energy states
Would you tell me if i am wrong?

Last edited:
If scientists have entangled more than two fermions, would that violate the principal?

Excuse me; I was wrong
In fact the third part covers the two other parts.

Last edited:

1. What is the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that in a given system, two electrons cannot have the same set of quantum numbers, such as energy level and spin.

2. Who is the principle named after?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle is named after Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli, who first proposed the principle in 1925 in order to explain the observed behavior of electrons in atoms.

3. What are the implications of the Pauli Exclusion Principle?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle has several important implications in physics. It explains why electrons in atoms occupy different energy levels and have different spin states, and it also explains the periodic table of elements in chemistry. Additionally, the principle plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter in extreme conditions, such as in neutron stars and white dwarfs.

4. How does the Pauli Exclusion Principle affect electron configurations in atoms?

The Pauli Exclusion Principle states that each electron in an atom must have a unique set of quantum numbers. This means that an atom can only hold a certain number of electrons in each energy level, and electrons will fill up the available energy levels in a specific order, known as the Aufbau principle. This allows us to determine the electron configuration of an atom based on its atomic number.

5. Can the Pauli Exclusion Principle be violated?

No, the Pauli Exclusion Principle is a fundamental law of nature and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. It is a crucial concept in our understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level, and it has not been observed to be violated in any known physical systems.