Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector

• Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date
In summary, you tried the method mentioned in the post below, but failed. You then tried a different method and got the correct answer.
andrey21
Hi can anyone help me prove the result of W2 of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector :
This is very new to me and I've read I must use terms such as J13 and P3

Where totally antisymmetric symbol is defined by:
[itex]\epsilon[/itex]1234=1 and [itex]\epsilon[/itex]1243=-1

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what have you tried ?? As per the guidelines, you must post your attempt.

Ok, where did you fail ? Post or attach a scan of your work.

Well here is my answer:

W2= 0.5 M[itex]\mu\nu[/itex] M[itex]\mu\nu[/itex] P2 + M[itex]\mu\rho[/itex] M[itex]\nu\rho[/itex] P[itex]\mu[/itex] P[itex]\nu[/itex]

Where the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector given was:

Wμ= - 0.5 [itex]\epsilon[/itex][itex]\mu\nu\rho\sigma[/itex] J[itex]\nu\rho[/itex] P[itex]\sigma[/itex]

I get 6 terms when I expand

[tex] W_2 = -\frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{2\nu\sigma\rho} M^{\nu\sigma}P^{\rho} = -\frac{1}{2} \left( \epsilon_{2013} M^{01}P^{3} + \epsilon_{2031} M^{03}P^{1} + \mbox{4 other terms}\right) [/tex]

I don't think you can regroup them the way you did.

Ok I am a little confused, could you go into more detail regarding your expansion? I am struggling to see how you got those terms! :confused:

Well, the epsilon for a fixed mu (=2) can only take 3 values in 3! combinations. 0,1,3 and the other 5 combinations. That's why from the possible terms you have only 6 remaining.

OK so the other four terms would be:

ε2301 M30P1
ε2310 M31P0
ε2130 M13P0
ε2103 M10P3

Yes. Now the epsilons are +/-1 and you can regroup alike terms based on antisymmetry of M.

OK so the antisymmetry rule again is:

Mab=M-ab

M_ab = - M_ba you mean...

EDIT: Yes, exactly. ;)

Last edited:
:rofl: Thats what I meant...

So M31= - M13 for example...

So using that information and that:

ε1234=1 and ε1243=-1

W2= -1/2 (-J10P3+ J30P1+J10P3 +J31P0-J30P1-J31P0)

=-1/2 (0)

No, no, no. It's 2 times minus for 3 terms in the bracket, one minus from epsilon, one minus from M, so the terms don't have opposite signs, but equal (choose all 3 with plus). So you have 3 times double contribution. The 2 can be then factored and canceled with the 2 in the denominator.

I understand so you end up with:

W2= -(J10P3+J30P1+J31P0)

Correct?

Looks ok. Half the permutations of 0,1,3.

EDIT for post below: Don't mention it.

So I have the correct answer, that's great. Thanks for all your help :smile:

1. What is a Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector?

A Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector is a mathematical concept in quantum field theory that describes the spin of a particle. It is defined as the cross product of the four-momentum and the intrinsic spin of a particle, and is a conserved quantity in relativistic systems.

2. How is the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector related to the spin of a particle?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector is directly proportional to the spin of a particle. This means that the magnitude of the pseudovector is equal to the spin quantum number, and the direction of the pseudovector is parallel to the spin axis of the particle.

3. Why is the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector useful in quantum field theory?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector is useful because it is a conserved quantity in relativistic systems, meaning that it remains constant throughout the interactions of particles. This makes it a useful tool for predicting and understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions.

4. Can the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector be measured in experiments?

Yes, the Pauli-Lubanski pseudovector can be indirectly measured through various experiments, such as scattering experiments or particle collisions. It is not directly observable, but its effects can be detected and studied.

5. What is the difference between a pseudovector and a regular vector?

A pseudovector is a mathematical quantity that transforms like a vector under rotations, but with an additional sign change under reflection. This means that it behaves like a vector in terms of direction and magnitude, but has a different transformation property. Regular vectors do not change sign under reflection.