1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli Lubanski vector always zero?

1. Oct 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi
    i've noticed that,
    [tex]J^{ab}P^c + J^{bc}P^a+J^{ca}P^b = 0[/tex]
    [
    Since
    [tex]J^{ab}P^c + J^{bc}P^a+J^{ca}P^b = x^a\partial^b\partial^c -x^b\partial^a\partial^c + x^b\partial^c\partial^a-x^c\partial^b\partial^a+x^c\partial^a\partial^b-x^a\partial^c\partial^b = 0[/tex]
    ]

Next, I tried it on the Pauli Lubanski vector. Suppose I'll look at W0 as an example
    [tex]W_x = (1/2)\epsilon_{xabc}J^{ab}P^c [/tex]
    [tex]2W_0 = \epsilon_{0abc}J^{ab}P^c = \epsilon_{0123}J^{12}P^3+\epsilon_{0132}J^{13}P^2+\epsilon_{0231}J^{23}P^1+\epsilon_{0213}J^{21}P^3+\epsilon_{0312}J^{31}P^2+\epsilon_{0321}J^{32}P^1[/tex]
    [tex]= +J^{12}P^3-J^{13}P^2+J^{23}P^1-J^{21}P^3+J^{31}P^2-J^{32}P^1[/tex]
    [tex]= (J^{12}P^3+J^{23}P^1+J^{31}P^2)-(J^{13}P^2+J^{21}P^3+J^{32}P^1)[/tex]
    and in each parentheses we have an expression identical to the identity I started with.
    Therefore, W0 = 0.

likewise I get for all the other W components. So, is W = 0 by definition?

2. Relevant equations
    (none)

3. The attempt at a solution
    the only thing I could have missed is the identity from above, but i looks quite solid. I don't see were did I go wrong

thanks for your time
    tamir

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

You could get to that conclusion faster by noticing that
    $$
    \epsilon^{\mu\nu\lambda\rho} (x_\nu \partial_\lambda - x_\lambda \partial_\nu) \partial_\rho ~=~ 0 ~,
    $$because the partial derivatives commute.

But you're only considering orbital angular momentum, hence it only applies to a spin-0 particle. If there's non-zero intrinsic spin, things are different.

Check Wikipedia's entry on the Pauli--Lubanski vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted