What is the significance of tau and sigma matrices in quantum theory?

In summary, Zee's quantum theory text introduces the Dirac equation using gamma matrices as direct products of Pauli matrices. The notation also includes sigma and tau matrices, which are identical. While sigma notation is commonly used in other texts, tau notation is used in the context of isospin in Wikipedia. Both notations are used in the same equation, and they refer to the same set of three matrices. The sigma and tau matrices act as left-hand multipliers and super operators, while the gamma matrices govern both spin states. This concept may require further reading for those with limited group theory backgrounds.
jhaber
In Zee's quantum theory text, introducing the Dirac equation, he states the gamma matrices as direct products of Pauli matrices. The statements involve the identity matrix, sigma matrices, and tau matrices. It took me a bit to realize that the latter were identical. I hadn't seen the tau notation before; it's only sigma in my hardest quantum mechanics text, Messiah. I see that Wikipedia says that tau is used in context of isospin (not mentioned in this chapter in Zee).

Can I ask more about the convention, so that I understand why both notations are used in the same equation? They appear a few pages later in straightforward further manipulation as well. That is, I understand the math but not the notation. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jhaber said:
In Zee's quantum theory text, introducing the Dirac equation, he states the gamma matrices as direct products of Pauli matrices. The statements involve the identity matrix, sigma matrices, and tau matrices. It took me a bit to realize that the latter were identical. I hadn't seen the tau notation before; it's only sigma in my hardest quantum mechanics text, Messiah. I see that Wikipedia says that tau is used in context of isospin (not mentioned in this chapter in Zee).

Can I ask more about the convention, so that I understand why both notations are used in the same equation? They appear a few pages later in straightforward further manipulation as well. That is, I understand the math but not the notation. Thanks!

The sigma and tau notation, as far as I know, is used to represent the possible spin states in a two state entangled system.

sigma: < u d | < d u |
Tau: | u d > | d u >

eg < u d | + < d u | (spin operator) | u d > + | d u >

The spin operator acts on sigma and tau leaving tau with it's sign interchanged

= < u d | + < d u | | u d > - | d u >

hope this helps

I'll have to think about that one. The in-text equations are quite consistent with both notations referring to the same set of three matrices. For example, the third is

1 0
0 -1

where you'll excuse me if I don't know Latex, so that gammma-0 =

I 0
0 I

works out to the direct product of I and tau-3. Also there's no restriction here in mixing notations of one to any particular spin state, rather than to components of Dirac matrices that govern both spin states. It's more like they're being used for left-hand multiplier/super vs right-hand/sub, like co- and contravariant. But I'll look at it again from your angle and see if it gives added insight.

jhaber said:
I'll have to think about that one. The in-text equations are quite consistent with both notations referring to the same set of three matrices. For example, the third is

1 0
0 -1

where you'll excuse me if I don't know Latex, so that gammma-0 =

I 0
0 I

works out to the direct product of I and tau-3. Also there's no restriction here in mixing notations of one to any particular spin state, rather than to components of Dirac matrices that govern both spin states. It's more like they're being used for left-hand multiplier/super vs right-hand/sub, like co- and contravariant. But I'll look at it again from your angle and see if it gives added insight.

The sigma 3 matrix and the tau 3 matrix are both the same matrix, so are sigma 2 and tau 2, and sigma 1 and tau 1. It is called a sigma matrix when acting on sigma and a tau matrix when acting on tau. It doesn't matter which one you call sigma and which one you call tau, it works out the same, the inner product will be equal to zero...I think that's right, perhaps someone will correct me if wrong.

That's fine, thanks much. I know I'll have to read up more this chapter, as my group theory background is limited. I took an algebra course in math out of Herstein, where a group was just a set with a single operation that didn't necessarily commute, and such things as symmetry, matrices, and types like SO(5) were not on the table. (Apologies: an earlier version of this referred to the text as Lang, my linear algebra text from two years before.)

Last edited:

1. What are Pauli matrices and how are they used in science?

Pauli matrices are a set of 3x3 matrices named after the physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are used in quantum mechanics to represent the spin of particles and are essential in describing the behavior of subatomic particles such as electrons.

2. What is the difference between tau and sigma in Pauli matrices?

Tau and sigma are two different sets of Pauli matrices. Tau matrices are used to represent the spin of fermions, while sigma matrices are used for bosons. They have different mathematical properties and are used in different applications in physics.

3. How are Pauli matrices related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. The Pauli matrices are essential in describing the spin of fermions, which is a quantum state. This means that the Pauli matrices play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in accordance with the exclusion principle.

4. Can Pauli matrices be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Pauli matrices can be extended to higher dimensions. In addition to the 2x2 matrices for spin-1/2 particles, there are also 4x4 matrices for spin-1 particles and 6x6 matrices for spin-3/2 particles. These higher-dimensional Pauli matrices have similar properties and are used to describe the spin behavior of particles with higher spin values.

5. Are there any practical applications of Pauli matrices?

Yes, Pauli matrices have many practical applications in science. They are used in quantum computing, particle physics, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, among other fields. They are also essential in studying and understanding the properties and behavior of matter at the subatomic level.