1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli matrices

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1
    1. Consider the 2x2 matrix [tex]\sigma^{\mu}=(1,\sigma_{i})[/tex] where [tex]\sigma^{\mu}=(1,\sigma)
    [/tex] where 1 is the identity matrix and [tex]\sigma_{i}[/tex] the pauli matrices. Show with a direct calcuation that [tex]detX=x^{\mu}x_{\mu}[/tex]

3. I'm not sure how to attempt this at all...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2013 #2
    I think you're missing a part out, where we define how the big X is related to the little x's
    As a hint, how would you normally go about finding the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    Well usually ab - cd assuming a, b are elements in the first row..

However not sure what to do next...

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Write down [itex]X[/itex] explicitly and then calculate its determinant by just doing the algebraic manipulations. It's nothing deep in this calculation, but its result is very important for the description of spin-1/2-particles in relativistic quantum theory!

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    Well I don't know what x is therefore I don't know how to write X, and I'm not sure how sigma would change to x

7. Oct 6, 2013 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't [itex]X[/itex] given as [itex]X = x^\mu \sigma_\mu[/itex]?

8. Oct 6, 2013 #7
    Yes...

9. Oct 6, 2013 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For an [itex]n \times n[/itex] matrix [itex]A[/itex] and a number [itex]a[/itex], what is [itex]det \left(aA\right)[/itex] in terms of [itex]detA[/itex]?

10. Oct 6, 2013 #9
    [tex]det(cA)=c^{n}(detA)
    [/tex]

11. Oct 6, 2013 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So [itex]det \left(x^\mu \sigma_\mu\right) = [/itex] ?

12. Oct 6, 2013 #11
    Well,you need to write it as the product of four vectors,use the explicit form of σ matrices,and calculate the determinant of resulting 2×2 matrix.Got it.you will find it's use in showing the relation SO(3,1)=SL(2,C)/Z2.

13. Oct 6, 2013 #12
    Well from George's previous post, I had realised the conclusion beforehand, however I'm not sure how that will result in the answer I need.. but I guess if I follow andrien it should fall out?

14. Oct 6, 2013 #13

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Each [itex]x^\mu[/itex] is a number and each [itex]\sigma_\mu[/itex] is a number. As an intermediate step, apply
    to [itex]det \left(x^\mu \sigma_\mu\right)[/itex]. What do you get?

15. Oct 6, 2013 #14

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

No! [itex]\sigma_{\mu}[/itex] are complex [itex]2 \times 2[/itex] matrices, namely
    [tex]\sigma_0=\mathbb{1}[/tex] and [itex]\sigma_{j}[/itex] ([itex]j \in \{1,2,3 \}[/itex]) the three Pauli matrices. This means that in standard representation of the Pauli matrices with [itex]\sigma_3[/itex] diagonalized you have
    [tex]X=x^{\mu} \sigma_{\mu}=x^0 \mathbb{1} + \vec{x} \cdot \vec{\sigma}=\begin{pmatrix}
    x^0+x^3 & x^1-\mathrm{i} x^2 \\
    x^1 + \mathrm{i} x^2 & x^0-x^3
    \end{pmatrix}.
    [/tex]
    Now evaluate its determinant!

16. Oct 6, 2013 #15

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops! The above was a slip of my fingers while typing. Obviously, each [itex]\sigma_\mu[/itex] is a matrix, and this what I meant to type.

17. Oct 6, 2013 #16
    sweeet! I see it now, I had the error of not including x^0 when writing out X which was why I couldn't solve the problem. Thank you!!

18. Oct 6, 2013 #17

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now that you see it using the explicit matrix given by vahees71, I will write out the method at which I hinted.

[tex]det\left( x^\mu \sigma_\mu \right) = \left( x^\mu \right)^2 det \sigma_\mu = \left( x^0 \right)^2 - \left( x^1 \right)^2 - \left( x^2 \right)^2 - \left( x^3 \right)^2 ,[/tex]

since [itex]det\sigma_0 = 1[/itex] and [itex]det\sigma_i = -1[/itex] for each [itex]i[/itex].

I think it is important to see the calculation done both ways, i.e., summing before taking the determinant and summing after taking determinants.

19. Oct 6, 2013 #18
    yeah I noticed that the det for sigma(i) was -1, but I didn't know what the determinant for sigma(0) was, so I guess I wasn't able to put everything together...as I wasn't sure how to include sigma(0)

20. Oct 6, 2013 #19

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But [itex]\sigma_0[/itex] is just the identity matrix ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted