Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli principle

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1
    I only have applied courses of quantum physics, so in my text book fundamentals are only briefly mentioned.

In my text book the following is said of the Pauli principle:

I was wondering if someone can tip the veil of these arguments a little bit. Obviously, spin has a lot to do with it. I was wondering if, with similar arguments, it is possible to explain why photon emission is a common occurence in energy exchange. I mean, what makes photons so special; the fact that they have spin 1?
    I was wondering whether people are getting any further in making something similar to Mendelejew's table, but for subatomic particles : that is, to show how behavior can be derived based on the number of types of fermions, bosons, etc. in a system.

I haven't had any subatomic physics yet, so please don't overquark me with your input. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2
    I think what you're basically talking about is the "spin-statistics-theorem". I think it says that fermions obey the Pauli principle, while bosons do not.

4. Jan 30, 2007 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Before making such claims, you should document yourself. So make a search about the "spin-statistics theorem" and see what it really says.

5. Jan 30, 2007 #4
    what i have seen in textbooks is the following: they start with the Dirac lagrangian and then express the Hamiltonian in terms of this and the field. The Hamiltonian is then rewritten such that formal operators pop out (similar to the solution for the quantum harmonic oscillator), in particular a "d" operator. If this "d" operator is not anti-commutative, then particles with negative energy could be created - this is rejected on physical grounds. therefore, the anti-commutation property (which is really just another way of writing the pauli principle) is a direct consequence of applying special relativity to a quantized field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?