Can the Pauli Exclusion Principle be explained through quantum states?

In summary, the Pauli exclusion principle tells us that there can only be two electrons in an energy level and the spin of the electrons has to be in the opposite direction.
avito009
I was reading about the Pauli Exclusion Principle and I had a doubt. This principle tells us that a maximum of two electrons can be present in an energy level and the spin of the electrons has to be in the opposite direction.

But S orbital can hold a maximum of two electrons. This is fine but what about the next orbital called P orbital. It can hold upto 8 electrons?

On further study I found that in the first orbital there can be two electrons with opposite spins. But (Note here) in the next p orbital it has subshells namely 2s, 2px, 2py and 2pz. Each subshell contains maximum 2 electrons.

Is this line of thought correct Drakkith?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also tell me how the orbitals K,L,M are related to orbitals s,p,d,f? Whats the difference?

avito009 said:
I was reading about the uncertainity and I had a doubt. This principle tells us that a maximum of two electrons can be present in an energy level and the spin of the electrons has to be in the opposite direction.
That's the Pauli exclusion principle, not the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

I think I have the answer to that Drakkith.

k l m and n are shells while s p d and f are subshells.

jtbell said:
That's the Pauli exclusion principle, not the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
Sorry for that mistake. Yes I am talking about the pauli exclusion principle.

avito009 said:
This is fine but what about the next orbital called P orbital. It can hold upto 8 electrons?

On further study I found that in the first orbital there can be two electrons with opposite spins. But (Note here) in the next p orbital it has subshells namely 2s, 2px, 2py and 2pz. Each subshell contains maximum 2 electrons.

I think if I am to be corrected. The L orbital can hold upto 8 electrons. That also would mean L orbital has subshells namely 2s, 2px, 2py and 2pz. Is this correct?

To designate a particular subshell we write the number of the shell itself followed by the subshell designator.

1 s the first shell has one orbital type associated with it.
2 s p the second shell has two orbital types associated with it.
3 s p d etc
4 s p d f
5 s p d f g

Correct me if I am wrong. The next energy level M has 9 subshells. 3s has one subshell. Then 3p has 3 subshells namely 3px 3py 3pz. Then the 3d has five subshells namely 3dxy 3dxz 3dyz 3dx2-y2 and 3dz2. So it can hold upto 18 electrons. Am I right?

Likes Liu Chang
A table would help to explain further. This table shows quantum number m along with quantum number l and n. It is clear from this table that m (Quantum number) has different values and those values determine the number of shells.

n l m
3 0 0 3s

3 1 -1 3p
3 1 0
3 1 1

3 2 -2 3d
3 2 -1
3 2 0
3 2 1
3 2 2

Shells and subshells are not orbitals. And s and p orbitals are only degenerate (i.e. have the same energy) in hydrogen like atoms.
The Pauli principle also doesn't say that there can only be two electrons in an energy level but only two electrons in an orbital. But there may be several orbitals having the same energy.

It would be useful to distinguish between orbitals, shells and subshells. The quantum numbers determine this, So if

• They have the same n it is called shell
  • They have same n and l it is called sub-shell
  • They have the same n, l, and ml it is called orbital

avito009 said:
I was reading about the Pauli Exclusion Principle and I had a doubt. This principle tells us that a maximum of two electrons can be present in an energy level and the spin of the electrons has to be in the opposite direction.

But S orbital can hold a maximum of two electrons. This is fine but what about the next orbital called P orbital. It can hold upto 8 electrons?

Is this line of thought correct Drakkith?
Think of it this way: Pauli Exclusion Principle says that no two electrons can have the same set of the 4 quantum states which distinguish the electrons around an atom: N, L, M, or S. If they have the same N,L, or M, they can only be distinguished by their S (spin).

1. What is Pauli's Exclusion Principle?

Pauli's Exclusion Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that no two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This means that fermions must have different quantum numbers and cannot have the same energy, spin, and spatial coordinates.

2. Who discovered Pauli's Exclusion Principle?

Pauli's Exclusion Principle was discovered by Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli in 1925. He proposed this principle as a solution to the anomalous Zeeman effect, which was observed when studying the energy levels of atoms in a magnetic field.

3. What is the importance of Pauli's Exclusion Principle?

Pauli's Exclusion Principle is important because it explains why atoms have a stable electronic structure and why matter takes up space. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of materials, such as their electrical and thermal conductivity, and is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy physics experiments.

4. Can Pauli's Exclusion Principle be violated?

No, Pauli's Exclusion Principle is a well-established principle in quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. It is considered a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated.

5. How does Pauli's Exclusion Principle relate to the periodic table of elements?

Pauli's Exclusion Principle is the basis for the structure of the periodic table of elements. The number of electrons in an atom's outermost energy level is determined by the number of elements in each row of the periodic table. This principle also explains why elements in the same group have similar chemical properties, as they have the same number of electrons in their outermost energy level.