Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli's Exculusion Principle

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1

DB

I know that pauli's exclusion principle states that no 2 identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state. I understand this for let's say a He atom, but what is going on in 2nd energy level of a Neon atom? How are all the electrons in different quantum states?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write down the electron shell+subshell configuration of Neon and label each electron through its 4 quantum numbers.

Daniel.

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3

DB

Thanks
    n=1 shell
    [tex]1s^2[/tex]

n=2 shell
    [tex]2s^2,2p^6[/tex]

I dont know how do do this...

5. Jan 22, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So far it's chemistry (sure derived from QM).Question:Do u know QM??

Daniel.

6. Jan 22, 2005 #5

DB

Umm, I have the understandin of QM, If you could give me a brief explanation of the quantum numbers and the exclusion principle I would research on it and learn more about it.

7. Jan 22, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The part with the quantum numbers and their origin/signification is more complex & pretty mathematical.Do you know group theory???

Daniel.

8. Jan 22, 2005 #7

DB

No, maybe I'm too undereducated to understand the exclusion principle, maybe you can point me in the right direction, where should I start?

9. Jan 23, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With a solid course on analytical mechanics.Quantum Mechanics quantizes classical system described by Hamilton's formulation of Classical Mechanics.

Daniel.

10. Jan 23, 2005 #9
  11. Jan 23, 2005 #10

DB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?