1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli's Exculusion Principle

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1

DB

I know that pauli's exclusion principle states that no 2 identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state. I understand this for let's say a He atom, but what is going on in 2nd energy level of a Neon atom? How are all the electrons in different quantum states?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write down the electron shell+subshell configuration of Neon and label each electron through its 4 quantum numbers.

Daniel.

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3

DB

Thanks
    n=1 shell
    [tex]1s^2[/tex]

n=2 shell
    [tex]2s^2,2p^6[/tex]

I dont know how do do this...

5. Jan 22, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So far it's chemistry (sure derived from QM).Question:Do u know QM??

Daniel.

6. Jan 22, 2005 #5

DB

Umm, I have the understandin of QM, If you could give me a brief explanation of the quantum numbers and the exclusion principle I would research on it and learn more about it.

7. Jan 22, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The part with the quantum numbers and their origin/signification is more complex & pretty mathematical.Do you know group theory???

Daniel.

8. Jan 22, 2005 #7

DB

No, maybe I'm too undereducated to understand the exclusion principle, maybe you can point me in the right direction, where should I start?

9. Jan 23, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With a solid course on analytical mechanics.Quantum Mechanics quantizes classical system described by Hamilton's formulation of Classical Mechanics.

Daniel.

10. Jan 23, 2005 #9
  11. Jan 23, 2005 #10

DB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?