Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pay to dispose of my sorted rubbish

1. Jul 15, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Hey whats the con here, i have to pay to dispose of my sorted rubbish, then my sorted rubbish goes into producing new products, so some producer is getting me to pay for his raw material, and now i am told that my rubbish may only be collected bi weekly, so that halves collection costs, i am sure i am being done.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Recycling

Yep, you pay to buy it and you pay to throw it away.

My company did give me a cool reusable grocery bag. I thought it was fine canvas, but it was actually made from recycled plastic soda bottles. :bugeye:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. Jul 16, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't mean that you explicitly pay, do you? I mean, sure, taxes go towards rubbish and recycling collections, but then this is a pretty handy service: I don't know many people who would have the time or inclination to take their own rubbish each week to 'save' a few pounds.

5. Jul 16, 2008 #4

Evo

Here garbage collection is done by private companies and you have to pay for garbage removal.

6. Jul 16, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Wow, really? My rubbish collectors are great- today they took away an old bed without me having to specifically ask them! Is there anything you don't have to pay for explicitly in the US? :eek:

7. Jul 16, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hope you got Grampa out of the bed before they took it....<insert your own Monty Python reference here>

8. Jul 16, 2008 #7

Evo

I suspect your trash service is paid for by taxes. In some US cities I assume they get "free" trash pick up, but again it's paid for with taxes.

Where I live the private companies compete for the trash pickup and it keeps the service cheap and the quality high, and lowers taxes.

9. Jul 16, 2008 #8

I put my trash out in the morning with a sign that says $5 takes all. By the time I get home from work someone has stolen it.

10. Jul 16, 2008 #9

turbo

Gold Member

I just got back from the transfer station. Recycled plastics, cardboard, steel cans, and dumped household trash. The place is only a couple of miles away, and it's open Wednesdays and weekends, so it's no bother. There is no municipal trash pick-up in any town that I have lived in. You either take it yourself or pay someone else to do it. In a small town like this, "dump days" are often a chance to socialize a bit with other residents, find out if the fish are biting, and maybe scrounge for an old electric motor, etc. The guy that runs the station doesn't scrap any appliances that still have good parts (washing machine timers, pumps, electric motors, etc) - he stockpiles them, gives away the parts people need, and then scraps the stripped shells. If people need a table or chairs for a hunting camp or some other non-critical use, they often check with him first. Last year, a woman brought in a few cases of canning jars - I missed her by about 20 minutes and the jars were gone when I got there. Darn! Those things get expensive to buy.

11. Jul 16, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

The place where we have to go to dump a refrigerator or tv, any thing the rubbish men will not take, is guarded like Fort Knox, cctv cameras, and sas type guards, i have not seen any dogs yet, but that may change soon.

12. Jul 16, 2008 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your mother was still in the bed

it would be matress-cide

13. Jul 16, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I've lived in both types of places. Sometimes it's covered by city taxes, sometimes you have to pay. I don't notice any difference in "quality" of service though (How much quality difference could there be? They take the trash, and as long as it's gone by the time I get home from work, the job is done right.) If anything, it's a bigger pain with the private companies. With collection paid for by taxes, I could put out anything at the curb, and they'd take it. With private collection, if I put out more than two trash cans, I have to call them ahead and arrange for a special pick up and pay extra for it. :grumpy:

It took me a while to adjust to living places with only once a week pick-up though. The town where I grew up was the "host community" to the dump, so as "compensation" for that, we weren't charged for garbage collection (the town made enough off operating the dump to cover it, plus no tipping fees for our town's garbage trucks), and they collected twice a week, and did curbside recycling for everything too. In the winter, it doesn't matter so much, but in the summer, it's really horrible only having once a week trash collection. :yuck:

14. Jul 16, 2008 #13

Evo

I'm thinking of the infamous "garbage strike" in NY. When I had city trash, they weren't very careful. They would toss your garbage can without paying attention to where it landed and they delighted in trying to destroy them.

I lived in a neighborhood once that was so picky that you left your garbage cart in the back of the house were it could not be seen from the street. The private collector would go to the back, get the cart, take it to be cleaned out and then return it to the back of the house. Oh yeah, we paid for it through community fees, we also had a private ambulance service and fire department in addition to city services.

15. Jul 16, 2008 #14

Most of the recycled plastic and paper in the USA is now going to China. It will be coming back however.

16. Jul 16, 2008 #15

turbo

Gold Member

Along with some heavy metals...

17. Jul 16, 2008 #16

Large 106 gallon trash cans that roll on wheels are used predominately in my area now.

http://www.cityofeastpeoria.com/_data/media/public works/Toter.jpg

They are robotically picked up and dumped into the garbage trucks. The down side is that the trucks are to big to do the pick up in the alleys of older neighborhoods and people have to wheel the cans out to the curb in the front of their homes.

The newer so called "master planned" developments don't have alleys, just endless rows of look alike garage doors.

18. Jul 16, 2008 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

19. Jul 16, 2008 #18

The city of Tucson has its own municipal garbage pick up. I live out in the county and three different companies serve may area. This means heavy garbage trucks on the street three days per week.

At least they do trim my trees for free even if it is unintentional.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?