Paying someone to cut your hair

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut Hair
In summary, I think it is an abomination that a barbershop can stay in business. Every human being that owns a scissors and has at least one hand is capable of cutting his or her own hair perfectly fine.
ehrenfest
I think it is an abomination that a barbershop can stay in business. Every human being that owns a scissors and has at least one hand is capable of cutting his or her own hair perfectly fine. If you begin cutting your own hair when you are a child then my guess is that you will save approximately a thousand dollars (not counting inflation or anything) and approximately two hundred hours. That is a lot of money and a long time. If you have recently considered throwing your money and time away by going to a barber PLEASE THINK TWICE for your own sake and for the sake of society. Imagine how many useful buildings could be constructed in place of barbershops!

Physics news on Phys.org
One of my best investments has been a set of decent quality electric trimmers. When I get tired of my hair being too long, I just break them out, pick a guard, and go to town. They're only $20, and they usually last me at least a year or two depending on the quality.

Can you believe that you need a license to get paid to cut someone else's hair in the US?

Give me a break. I've gone to the same barber my entire life. Any good baber shop gives you a proper haircut and shave with hot foam and a razor that could slice your neck off.

I enjoy going to my barber shop and getting my hair cut, talking to my barber, and relaxing in the process. Its a 'guys' place.

You should find yourself a real barber shop. Get a real haircut, and I am not talking about the five dollar "I'd like a number 3 on the sides" haircut. I walk in and say 'cut my hair'. He combs it to the back and cuts it to the proper length on the sides and shapes the back with a razor blade.

I always give my barber $20 bucks. So, I think your thousand dollar estimate is way, way, too low. (Thats only 50 haircuts)

Last edited:
Do I even dare ask what the OP thinks about nail salons?

*runs and hides*

I could see getting a shave and the whole nine yards at a barber if I felt like being pampered, but 99% of the time I just want to buzz it all and then go relax in the shower. That and I love lathering up the shaving cream myself. It's relaxing.

For the last few weeks I've been meaning to buy a pair of scissors so I can try giving myself a trim...

My hair is almost down to my butt and I haven't had it cut for about 18 months. The last time it got snipped my housemate was wielding the scissors and she cut off 30 cm - enough to donate to a company that makes wigs for people with cancer.

I'm torn. I wish I could cut my own hair. And I hate going to the barber. I guess I could start with an electric trimmer.
I walk in and say 'cut my hair'. He combs it to the back and cuts it to the proper length on the sides and shapes the back with a razor blade.
I love that. I do like a good barber shop because I like how I don't have to decide anything. I don't know anything about hair, hair styles, or even how many inches I want off or left. I don't have a clue. Maybe that's why I haven't learned to cut my own hair.

Last edited:
You need a license to run a barber shop or hair salon because there is the very real chance you may come in contact with human bodily fluids (i.e., little nick with a razor) or parasites (i.e., lice), and you need to know enough about infection control to avoid spreading diseases from one client to another.

If you're just getting a buzz cut or trimming a little off the ends of long hair, sure, there's not much need to pay someone else to do that for you. But, quite a lot of people like to get their hair cut or styled nicer than that (not everyone looks good in a buzz cut or with long hair).

If you want to cut your own hair at home, go ahead and do so, but there's really no need to criticize other people for keeping someone employed doing it for them. If that's what someone wants to spend their money on or finds it something they enjoy, what business is it of anyone else what they do with their money or time? For that matter, you could choose not to cut your hair at all.

Since you've been starting a bunch of threads on cutting down the time and money it takes for things like eating and haircuts down to the bare minimum, there must be something else you would like to make time for doing and save up the money to do that spending time and money on these other activities distracts from. You may find that not everyone shares your enthusiasm for whatever that activity is and would consider THAT to be a waste of time and money. It all comes down to personal preference. It's fine to discuss these differences, let's just try to avoid being judgmental of other people's preferences.

Man, I'd pay that money just for the hair washing. Talk about relaxing.

ehrenfest said:
Imagine how many useful buildings could be constructed in place of barbershops!

Um...what would you replace them with? They ARE useful if they are being used, and the building is already constructed.

Moonbear said:
You need a license to run a barber shop or hair salon because there is the very real chance you may come in contact with human bodily fluids (i.e., little nick with a razor) or parasites (i.e., lice), and you need to know enough about infection control to avoid spreading diseases from one client to another.

If you're just getting a buzz cut or trimming a little off the ends of long hair, sure, there's not much need to pay someone else to do that for you. But, quite a lot of people like to get their hair cut or styled nicer than that (not everyone looks good in a buzz cut or with long hair).

If you want to cut your own hair at home, go ahead and do so, but there's really no need to criticize other people for keeping someone employed doing it for them. If that's what someone wants to spend their money on or finds it something they enjoy, what business is it of anyone else what they do with their money or time? For that matter, you could choose not to cut your hair at all.

Since you've been starting a bunch of threads on cutting down the time and money it takes for things like eating and haircuts down to the bare minimum, there must be something else you would like to make time for doing and save up the money to do that spending time and money on these other activities distracts from. You may find that not everyone shares your enthusiasm for whatever that activity is and would consider THAT to be a waste of time and money. It all comes down to personal preference. It's fine to discuss these differences, let's just try to avoid being judgmental of other people's preferences.

Yes, that is a good point, you closed my religions thread for trying to assign truth value to religion but this is really the same thing. I should stop trying to assign truth value to any lifestyle choice. Although I firmly believe professional haircutting is a waste of societies resources, my only proof is that getting a professional hair cut would be meaningless to me.

It is really hard to debate lifestyle optimization and society optimization when people have so many different backgrounds and experiences and values. That is why I am going into mathematical physics not politics or social science. Why can't everyone think more like me! :cry:

Why can't everyone think more like me!

A universal question that deserves it's own thread.

I pay some person $15 about every 6 months. I smile and say 'interview type business cut'.
Then about 20 minuets later I say thank you.
It's a service. A pay me, to do it or do it yourself choice.

I'm $30 a year lazy.

I accidentally got a 1/4" buzz cut about 10years ago by mishearing the barber!
Liked it and bought a pair of clippers - great.

I save $40-50 month (it's expensive in the UK), don't have to remember to schedule time off work before a trip/meeting and don't have to read GQ to know what I want when they ask about style.

My hair is way too gorgeous to let just anyone touch my hair, especially one not trained for decades :tongue:

I only £2.50 for a good hair cut, and you won't find many barbers in the Uk willing to give you a shave.

My mom used to cut my youngest brother's hair when he was still too young to know better. Her better haircuts didn't require stitches.

After seeing her exploits, I'm worried I would wind up paralyzed for life if I tried cutting my own hair. I'd rather iron my own clothes while wearing them.

ehrenfest said:
I think it is an abomination that a barbershop can stay in business. Every human being that owns a scissors and has at least one hand is capable of cutting his or her own hair perfectly fine. If you begin cutting your own hair when you are a child then my guess is that you will save approximately a thousand dollars (not counting inflation or anything) and approximately two hundred hours. That is a lot of money and a long time. If you have recently considered throwing your money and time away by going to a barber PLEASE THINK TWICE for your own sake and for the sake of society. Imagine how many useful buildings could be constructed in place of barbershops!

I am willing to pay money, in the knowledge I will get a good cut, and that I am helping a local business.

I haven't been to a barbers in years. My mummy cuts my hair *blink* o:)

Kurdt said:
I haven't been to a barbers in years. My mummy cuts my hair *blink* o:)
Me either. o:) My wife trims my hair when she feels like it.

Haven't shaved in nearly 27 years. I saved a few bucks.

http://www.channel4.com/media/userpages/accepted/71204_BadHaircut.jpg

Ha--hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
Ha--hahaha.
My son did something similar - more than once. :rofl:

I started cutting my own hair in 1981. IT was part of the anti-establishiment punk mentality I was in at the time. I continued to cut it throughout my 20s and 30s, only occasionally getting a professional cut (before my wedding for example). I got pretty good, so I kept at it. People would then ask me to cut their hair...big mistake.

But in retrospect, it is not "sticking it to the man" or any form of rebellion to deny a barber or stylist of $20 a month.

I cut my own hair too. I just cut my fro two weeks ago actually; I hadn't cut it in almost a year. My face felt so naked all that first week. horrible.

Cyrus said:
Ha--hahaha.

hahahahaha :rofl::rofl: :devil: classic

PS, a good barber will cut your hair while its try, never wet. They cut it using a comb and scissors, and shape the sides with a trimmer/razor blade.

Those people at hair cuttery make your hair wet, and then cut it by pulling and pinching your hair between their middle and index finger and then cutting what's sticking from between their fingers with scissors. The result is when your hair dries its not at an even length. One time I had to go to hair cuttery because I needed a haircut right away. My barber said, 'who the hell cut your hair'. Its all uneven when I went to my regular barber for my next haircut.

ehrenfest said:
Yes, that is a good point, you closed my religions thread for trying to assign truth value to religion but this is really the same thing. I should stop trying to assign truth value to any lifestyle choice. Although I firmly believe professional haircutting is a waste of societies resources, my only proof is that getting a professional hair cut would be meaningless to me.

It is really hard to debate lifestyle optimization and society optimization when people have so many different backgrounds and experiences and values. That is why I am going into mathematical physics not politics or social science. Why can't everyone think more like me! :cry:

Because your thinking is wrong.

*sigh* I'm not even going to tell you how much it costs to cut the Evo Child's hair. They charge her extra because she has so much hair. Her last hairdresser said she had enough hair for 3 people. She has absolutely gorgeous hair.

I would never attempt to cut my own hair. How the hell would you get it even in the back? I'm sorry, but I can't look like I got my head caught in a fan.

Evo said:
How the hell would you get it even in the back?

you don't lol

Supposedly if you tie a pony tail centered on the crown of your head and cut the hair from that it should be pretty even. That could be an urban myth because the person i heard it from isn't a reliable source.

wolram said:
I only £2.50 for a good hair cut, and you won't find many barbers in the Uk willing to give you a shave.
Yeah Sweeney Todd sort of ruined it for everyone :biggrin: I guess it was either get rid of the meat pies or the barber shop shave and folk opted to keep the meat pies :approve:

Go to a barber you can trust.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein"

Kurdt said:
Supposedly if you tie a pony tail centered on the crown of your head and cut the hair from that it should be pretty even. That could be an urban myth because the person i heard it from isn't a reliable source.
That would end up with many layers to your hair, with the shortest hair at the top of your head and the longest at the back of your head. I guess if you want that, it would work.

P.S. - I don't want to work anymore, will someone support me? I'm really cheap to keep. o:)

Kurdt said:
Supposedly if you tie a pony tail centered on the crown of your head and cut the hair from that it should be pretty even.
Or a puddin' bowl works for the full Dwayne Dibley (UK readers will understand)

I installed a mirror on a swing-arm next to my sink for the purpose of cutting my hair myself, but it is still a bit hit or miss trying to cut the back. I'm slowly learning to use my hands backwards, but even still, I can only see one side at a time, so it is tough to make them even.

I'd love to see Russ with long enough hair to do a ponytail :tongue2:

My grandmother used to cut my grandfather's hair...but I'm not sure it counts for much when there isn't much left to cut anyway. He just had that little ring left around the bottom that was still hanging on for dear life after the rest had fled...or maybe it was just my grandma's haircuts. :biggrin:

If you like your hair short and something other than a buzz cut, I don't know how you could cut it yourself (even then, probably easier to have someone else do it for you). I don't think I could reach the back of my hair if I wanted it cut short. I do cut my own hair, but it's long and I just pull it around to the front (I've gotten good at getting it even that way, but I have a lot of room for error...nobody will notice if it's an inch shorter than intended because I got it wrong the first time and needed to even up one side). Then again, I've never had any luck with hairdressers. Their ideas of what they want my hair to be never matches my ideas of what I'm telling them I want it to be. My biggest mistakes cutting my own hair still haven't been as bad as the "professional" haircuts I've gotten. They do well with cutting thin, stick straight, short hair, but when you have thick, curly, long hair, and want to keep it that way, I think they get jealous and try to butcher it on purpose.