1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PC Based oscilloscope

1. Apr 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I Want to Build an oscilloscope using microcontroller.I do not how to get started.

2. Relevant equations
    Is there any internet resource that provide full schematic and circuit discription.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2007 #2
    I think someone has already asked a similar question. I just can't find this thread again. The approach is like this:
    -Define specifications of you scope
    Bandwidth, Sampling Rate
    Input impedance, Attenuator/Amplifier stage
    Power supply (dual or single)

Since you want to start with a uC-design I would recommend any of Microchips uC's, since they have a built in ADC, so you can start right away.

Here is a collection of scopes based on uC

Here is a link to Microchip site, you'll probably find a lot of useful info

Complete schematic on a cheap, easy to make scope
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  4. Apr 7, 2007 #3
    First question,

1) What are you going to use it for?

Possible answers: Digital (ttl etc) circuit analysis, Analogue (e.g audio signals).

Depending upon which type will define the design strategy, for example if using it for digital signals having only two possible values you need only detect whether the level is above/below a threshold and for how long that state is maintained. THis is simply stored as a few bytes/sample.

For an analoge system you can either successivly sample a waveform and save the data or (a faster method) sample the delta change from the suceeding sample.

A third method involves a mathematical description of the waveform using fast fourier analysis.

Need to know: Analogue or digital?
    Max frequency to be analysed.

Suppose you want to look at a 1000 hz sinewave - draw a single cycle out on a sheet of paper, now how accuate do you want it displayed? sketch the minimum number of points then multiply this by 1000 - that's how many samples per second you require. - must go possibly more later..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?