PC-Based Oscilloscope Building: Get Started Now!

In summary, an oscilloscope can be used for digital or analogue analysis and you will need to know the max frequency to be analysed.
rehman

Homework Statement

I Want to Build an oscilloscope using microcontroller.I do not how to get started.

Homework Equations

Is there any internet resource that provide full schematic and circuit discription.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think someone has already asked a similar question. I just can't find this thread again. The approach is like this:
-Define specifications of you scope
Bandwidth, Sampling Rate
Input impedance, Attenuator/Amplifier stage
Power supply (dual or single)

Since you want to start with a uC-design I would recommend any of Microchips uC's, since they have a built in ADC, so you can start right away.

http://zedomax.com/blog/tag/microchip/"

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=64"

http://www.semifluid.com/?p=15"

Last edited by a moderator:
First question,

1) What are you going to use it for?

Possible answers: Digital (ttl etc) circuit analysis, Analogue (e.g audio signals).

Depending upon which type will define the design strategy, for example if using it for digital signals having only two possible values you need only detect whether the level is above/below a threshold and for how long that state is maintained. THis is simply stored as a few bytes/sample.

For an analoge system you can either successivly sample a waveform and save the data or (a faster method) sample the delta change from the suceeding sample.

A third method involves a mathematical description of the waveform using fast Fourier analysis.

Need to know: Analogue or digital?
Max frequency to be analysed.

Suppose you want to look at a 1000 hz sinewave - draw a single cycle out on a sheet of paper, now how accuate do you want it displayed? sketch the minimum number of points then multiply this by 1000 - that's how many samples per second you require. - must go possibly more later..

1. What is a PC-based oscilloscope?

A PC-based oscilloscope is a type of electronic test instrument that allows you to visualize and measure electrical signals. Unlike traditional standalone oscilloscopes, a PC-based oscilloscope connects to your computer via USB or Ethernet and uses software to display and analyze signals.

2. How do I get started with building a PC-based oscilloscope?

To get started, you will need a PC or laptop, a USB or Ethernet oscilloscope module, and compatible software. You can purchase these components separately or as a kit. Once you have all the necessary components, you can follow the instructions provided with your kit or refer to online resources for detailed step-by-step guides.

3. What are the benefits of building a PC-based oscilloscope?

Building a PC-based oscilloscope offers several advantages over purchasing a standalone oscilloscope. These include lower cost, customizable features, and the ability to upgrade and expand the capabilities of your oscilloscope as needed. Additionally, using a PC-based oscilloscope allows you to save and analyze data directly on your computer, making it easier to store and share your findings.

4. Are there any limitations to using a PC-based oscilloscope?

While PC-based oscilloscopes offer many benefits, they do have some limitations. The performance of a PC-based oscilloscope may be affected by the speed and capabilities of your computer. Additionally, the software used for the oscilloscope may have limited features compared to standalone oscilloscopes. However, these limitations can often be overcome by upgrading your computer hardware and purchasing more advanced software.

5. Can I use a PC-based oscilloscope for professional applications?

Yes, PC-based oscilloscopes are widely used in professional settings for various applications such as electronics testing, research, and development. However, it is important to ensure that the oscilloscope you build meets the necessary standards and specifications for your specific industry or application.