Is There Software That Can Connect My Meade LX200 GPS Telescope to My PC?

In summary, the conversation is about a user's difficulty connecting their Meade 12" LX200GPS telescope to their PC using Starry Night Pro version 4.5 and ACP3 software. They are asking for recommendations for downloadable software and questioning if their handmade RS-232 cable may be the cause of the problem. Another user suggests that SNP (Starry Night Pro) should work with the LX200GPS and recommends using an ohmmeter to check the cable.
DeepSky
Hi friends,
I'm a user of Meade's 12" LX200GPS and I was looking for the software to connect my telescope to my pc, I installed "Starry night pro" version 4.5 and ACP3 but they didn't work. Starry night only had LX200 & AutostarII in the list it supported but not LX200GPS.
Does anybody know any kind of downloadable software that can surely work with our case?
With respect to the fact that my RS-232 cable is handmade, can the cause of the problem be in the cable? How can I test it?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The LX200GPS uses the exact same command set as the LX200 -- it's essentially an industry standard. SNP can work with the LX200GPS just fine. Perhaps your cable is bad.

- Warren

chroot said:
The LX200GPS uses the exact same command set as the LX200 -- it's essentially an industry standard. SNP can work with the LX200GPS just fine. Perhaps your cable is bad.

- Warren
What is SNP?
Could you give me a link for it?
&
How can I be sure the Cable is bad?

Last edited:
SNP = Starry Night Pro.

Use an ohmmeter to verify that the cable is built properly.

- Warren

1. What is PC control for Meade LX200 GPS?

PC control for Meade LX200 GPS is a feature that allows users to control their telescope using a computer. It involves connecting the telescope to a computer using a cable or wireless connection, and using software to send commands and receive data from the telescope.

2. What are the advantages of using PC control for Meade LX200 GPS?

There are several advantages to using PC control for Meade LX200 GPS. It allows for more precise and accurate pointing and tracking of celestial objects, as well as the ability to save and recall telescope positions. It also allows for remote control of the telescope, making it easier to operate in difficult or remote locations.

3. What software is needed for PC control of Meade LX200 GPS?

To use PC control for Meade LX200 GPS, you will need software that is specifically designed for that purpose. Some popular options include Meade's own Autostar Suite, Stellarium, and SkySafari. These software programs allow for both manual and automated control of the telescope.

4. Can any computer be used for PC control of Meade LX200 GPS?

In general, any computer with a compatible operating system (such as Windows or MacOS) and the necessary ports (such as USB or serial) can be used for PC control of Meade LX200 GPS. However, it is recommended to use a computer with a faster processor and ample memory to ensure smooth operation.

5. Are there any limitations to PC control for Meade LX200 GPS?

While PC control for Meade LX200 GPS offers many benefits, there are some limitations to keep in mind. The software and computer must be set up correctly and the telescope must be properly aligned for accurate pointing and tracking. Additionally, some features, such as autoguiding, may require additional equipment and setup.