Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PC Gone Mad

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1

British banks are banning piggy banks because they may offend some Muslims.

Halifax and NatWest banks have led the move to scrap the time-honoured symbol of saving from being given to children or used in their advertising, the Daily Express/Daily Star group reports here.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture deems the pig to be an impure animal.

Salim Mulla, secretary of the Lancashire Council of Mosques, backed the bank move.

"This is a sensitive issue and I think the banks are simply being courteous to their customers," he said.

However, the move brought accusations of political correctness gone mad from critics.

"The next thing we will be banning Christmas trees and cribs and the logical result of that process is a bland uniformity," the Dean of Blackburn, Reverend Christopher Armstrong, said.

"We should learn to celebrate our difference, not be fearful of them."

Khalid Mahmoud, the Labour MP for a Birmingham seat and one of four Muslim MPs in Britain, also criticised the piggy-bank ban.

"We live in a multicultural society and the traditions and symbols of one community should not be obliterated just to accommodate another," Mr Mahmoud said.

"I doubt many Muslims would be seriously offended by piggy banks."
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Im sorry but I dont remember any Muslim followers gasping in horror and rioting the countless of times piggy banks were broken on TV or in movies. I swear we're going to get to a point where we can't do anything. We'll all have to dress the same, walk the same, think the same, simply to not offend anyone and even then someone will be offended at our non-offensiveness.
  4. Oct 25, 2005 #3
    I don't understand why people should even care about being PC. I think any amount of PC is out of control....course many people think I'm just a red neck cracker who has no clue...
  5. Oct 25, 2005 #4
    I find that statement offensive....you bigot!
  6. Oct 25, 2005 #5

Science Advisor

Apparently they do not have a sensitive Jewish clientele.
  7. Oct 25, 2005 #6

Gold Member

I find your font offensive, bigot!!
  8. Oct 25, 2005 #7
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Why not? I find EVERYTHING offensive......I want it all banned! Everything damn it!
  9. Oct 25, 2005 #8

Gold Member

I demand seperation of me and everything!
  10. Oct 25, 2005 #9
    I think that it was reaction to PC that fueled the conservative movement that brought us Bushco.

We live in a multi-cultural society, and the world is getting smaller. People should take offense only when offense is intended.
  11. Oct 25, 2005 #10
    Exactly...well said.
  12. Oct 26, 2005 #11
    So do we!!!

Let's start with your keboard. :devil: :wink:

Then ... How does Elba sound, Papillonwuino?
  13. Oct 26, 2005 #12
    i don't see the connection between muslims seeing the pig as an impure animal and being offended by money being associated with the pig. supposedly muslims wouldn't want their money to be impure?
  14. Oct 26, 2005 #13
    This really is a most fascinating social phenomenon that I am glad to say, has not infected Asia so far, thank goodness.

I can understand a certain degree of politeness and consideration is essential for social cohesion and harmonious co-existence, but papering over all ills at the expense of truth?

That big is beautiful? That one's attitude is knowledge and is every bit as valid as professional opinion? That there is no difference between men and women and certainly all races are the same (intellectually)?

Why do people even believe that nonsense in the first place? What purpose does it serve other than making people feel better about themselves and become easier for manupulation? Other than encouraging self-indulgence and the smug delight of ignorance and complacency?

*rant over*
  15. Oct 26, 2005 #14
    Yeah ... I wanna see the Chinese remove the coins from the mouths of those three legged frogs because they offend the French!
  16. Oct 26, 2005 #15
    Surely a more sensible solution would have been to put a sticker on the piggy banks reading: "Not for internal consumption". Problem solved.
  17. Oct 26, 2005 #16
    Quote from Natwest manager I just made up: "We're saving our bacon by not letting you save in yours."

News just in: several schools across the country have followed suit by banning piggy backs. Children are being encouraged to become more multi-cultural by embracing camel backs as an alternative. However, the schools have been criticised by health and safety officials who pointed out that not only is a child bearing two playmates on his back more in danger than when bearing one, but it is believed this directive works against the clamp-down on children spitting in school.

Other headlines tonight: Natwest has announced its new replacement to the piggy bank, namely the suicide bomb bank. This new recepticle will only accept funds from terrorism-associated organisations in Saudi currency and explodes on public transport.

Halifax has taken a different route, offering 49 virgins free with every account opened with a deposit of £1000 or more. No-one has complained thus far.

Next up: why Birmingham and Midshires Building Society has amended its dress policy to disallow any clothing that displays excessive parts of the female face, namely nose, chin, cheeks, mouth, forehead... [enough knee-jerk overreaction to political correctness already].
  18. Oct 26, 2005 #17
    No, wait ... that sounds like a balaclava.

So now it is manditory to go into a bank with a balaclave?

Hmmm ....
  19. Oct 26, 2005 #18
    Ha ha! By dress policy I was refering to staff of the building society itself. However you've hit upon an amusing comedy sketch: man puts on balaclava, walks into bank, walks up to teller.... who is wearing a balaclava. "Damn it, you guys always get here before me." Man walks out. Cue canned laughter and mediocre reviews. Show axed after three episodes. Okay, forget it.
  20. Oct 26, 2005 #19

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  21. Oct 26, 2005 #20
    I bet that it's not so much PC as it is fear of terrorism.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?