Should Piggy Banks Be Banned to Avoid Offending Muslims?

• Thread starter The Smoking Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, British banks are banning piggy banks because they may offend some Muslims. Muslims do not eat pork, so the banks are not offending them, but some conservatives are offended by the political correctness of the ban. This is a sensitive issue and the banks are just being courteous to their customers. This is a social phenomenon that has not infected Asia yet, thankfully.
The Smoking Man
:rolleyes:

British banks are banning piggy banks because they may offend some Muslims.

Halifax and NatWest banks have led the move to scrap the time-honoured symbol of saving from being given to children or used in their advertising, the Daily Express/Daily Star group reports here.

Muslims do not eat pork, as Islamic culture deems the pig to be an impure animal.

Salim Mulla, secretary of the Lancashire Council of Mosques, backed the bank move.

"This is a sensitive issue and I think the banks are simply being courteous to their customers," he said.

However, the move brought accusations of political correctness gone mad from critics.

"The next thing we will be banning Christmas trees and cribs and the logical result of that process is a bland uniformity," the Dean of Blackburn, Reverend Christopher Armstrong, said.

"We should learn to celebrate our difference, not be fearful of them."

Khalid Mahmoud, the Labour MP for a Birmingham seat and one of four Muslim MPs in Britain, also criticised the piggy-bank ban.

"We live in a multicultural society and the traditions and symbols of one community should not be obliterated just to accommodate another," Mr Mahmoud said.

"I doubt many Muslims would be seriously offended by piggy banks."

Physics news on Phys.org
Im sorry but I don't remember any Muslim followers gasping in horror and rioting the countless of times piggy banks were broken on TV or in movies. I swear we're going to get to a point where we can't do anything. We'll all have to dress the same, walk the same, think the same, simply to not offend anyone and even then someone will be offended at our non-offensiveness.

I don't understand why people should even care about being PC. I think any amount of PC is out of control...course many people think I'm just a red neck cracker who has no clue...

Pengwuino said:
Im sorry but I don't remember any Muslim followers gasping in horror and rioting the countless of times piggy banks were broken on TV or in movies. I swear we're going to get to a point where we can't do anything. We'll all have to dress the same, walk the same, think the same, simply to not offend anyone and even then someone will be offended at our non-offensiveness.

I find that statement offensive...you bigot!

The Smoking Man said:
:rolleyes:
"This is a sensitive issue and I think the banks are simply being courteous to their customers," he said.."

Apparently they do not have a sensitive Jewish clientele.

Townsend said:
I find that statement offensive...you bigot!

I find your font offensive, bigot!

Pengwuino said:
I find your font offensive, bigot!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Why not? I find EVERYTHING offensive...I want it all banned! Everything damn it!

I demand separation of me and everything!

I think that it was reaction to PC that fueled the conservative movement that brought us Bushco.

We live in a multi-cultural society, and the world is getting smaller. People should take offense only when offense is intended.

Skyhunter said:
We live in a multi-cultural society, and the world is getting smaller. People should take offense only when offense is intended.

Exactly...well said.

Pengwuino said:
So do we!

Let's start with your keboard. :devil: :wink:

Then ... How does Elba sound, Papillonwuino?

i don't see the connection between muslims seeing the pig as an impure animal and being offended by money being associated with the pig. supposedly muslims wouldn't want their money to be impure?

This really is a most fascinating social phenomenon that I am glad to say, has not infected Asia so far, thank goodness.

I can understand a certain degree of politeness and consideration is essential for social cohesion and harmonious co-existence, but papering over all ills at the expense of truth?

That big is beautiful? That one's attitude is knowledge and is every bit as valid as professional opinion? That there is no difference between men and women and certainly all races are the same (intellectually)?

Why do people even believe that nonsense in the first place? What purpose does it serve other than making people feel better about themselves and become easier for manupulation? Other than encouraging self-indulgence and the smug delight of ignorance and complacency?

*rant over*

Polly said:
This really is a most fascinating social phenomenon that I am glad to say, has not infected Asia so far, thank goodness. ...
Yeah ... I want to see the Chinese remove the coins from the mouths of those three legged frogs because they offend the French!

Surely a more sensible solution would have been to put a sticker on the piggy banks reading: "Not for internal consumption". Problem solved.

Quote from Natwest manager I just made up: "We're saving our bacon by not letting you save in yours."

News just in: several schools across the country have followed suit by banning piggy backs. Children are being encouraged to become more multi-cultural by embracing camel backs as an alternative. However, the schools have been criticised by health and safety officials who pointed out that not only is a child bearing two playmates on his back more in danger than when bearing one, but it is believed this directive works against the clamp-down on children spitting in school.

Other headlines tonight: Natwest has announced its new replacement to the piggy bank, namely the suicide bomb bank. This new recepticle will only accept funds from terrorism-associated organisations in Saudi currency and explodes on public transport.

Halifax has taken a different route, offering 49 virgins free with every account opened with a deposit of £1000 or more. No-one has complained thus far.

Next up: why Birmingham and Midshires Building Society has amended its dress policy to disallow any clothing that displays excessive parts of the female face, namely nose, chin, cheeks, mouth, forehead... [enough knee-jerk overreaction to political correctness already].

El Hombre Invisible said:
Next up: why Birmingham and Midshires Building Society has amended its dress policy to disallow any clothing that displays excessive parts of the female face, namely nose, chin, cheeks, mouth, forehead... [enough knee-jerk overreaction to political correctness already].
No, wait ... that sounds like a balaclava.

So now it is manditory to go into a bank with a balaclave?

Hmmm ...

The Smoking Man said:
No, wait ... that sounds like a balaclava.
So now it is manditory to go into a bank with a balaclave?
Hmmm ...
Ha ha! By dress policy I was referring to staff of the building society itself. However you've hit upon an amusing comedy sketch: man puts on balaclava, walks into bank, walks up to teller... who is wearing a balaclava. "Damn it, you guys always get here before me." Man walks out. Cue canned laughter and mediocre reviews. Show axed after three episodes. Okay, forget it.

Surely a more sensible solution would have been to put a sticker on the piggy banks reading: "Not for internal consumption". Problem solved.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I bet that it's not so much PC as it is fear of terrorism.

I have to agree that I don't really see the point here. I know pigs are not supposed to be touched by Muslims, but would that even include a plastic piggy bank? It's not like it's made out of actual pig. If the bank was truly interested in serving multicultural customers rather than expecting everyone to conform to a single culture, then they could have simply offered two choices for new customers to pick from, a traditional piggy bank, and one in some other shape - maybe something very neutral, like a house, or a crayon? Afterall, another animal might offend the vegetarians and animal rights activists too (they could always go with a bank shaped like broccoli for them :rofl:).

As an aside, I don't think this is really a politics or world affairs issue, just a crazy decision by a bank. Given the direction the banter in the thread has taken anyway, I'm going to move it to GD.

Moonbear said:
I have to agree that I don't really see the point here. I know pigs are not supposed to be touched by Muslims, but would that even include a plastic piggy bank? It's not like it's made out of actual pig.
Very true, Moonbear. The obvious point has been missed: a plastic, or porcelain (or pork-celain) piggy bank is not an animal, so is not an unclean animal.

Also, pigs are unclean in Christianity too, no? At least, Noah thought so.

Moonbear said:
As an aside, I don't think this is really a politics or world affairs issue, just a crazy decision by a bank. Given the direction the banter in the thread has taken anyway, I'm going to move it to GD.
True. Political correctness and satire thereof is not- oh, hang on.

As far as I know, muslims don't eat branchs of the Natwest or Halifax banks either (probably unclean) so they shouldn't suggest they save any money in them either.

At least those that DO have piggy banks will find more money in theirs than ever before - they'll go for a mint on eBay. So long as eBay do not deem the selling of besuited swine similarly offensive, that is.

Pengwuino said:
As in hung drawn and quartered? I'd be happy to assist you. :rofl:

Or are penguins a protected species?

As Churchill said " I like pigs. Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you but a pig looks you straight in the eye."

About time. Has not PETA been trying this for years? I mean we are teaching our kids that it is ok to hit a pig with a hammer!

Art said:
Or are penguins a protected species?

The North American Penguin is an endangered species as classified by the US Forestry Department.

I am the only one. You'd have a hell of a time explaining to PETA why you killed off an entire species.

Also, pigs are unclean in Christianity too, no?

Most interpretations of the Bible don't really emphisize that. Catholics aren't suppose to eat pork during lent.

Pork sucks though, who would want to eat pork. How can it be good if god explicitly forbids it. Once again, God 1, crappy food eaters 0

God i hate pork.

Pengwuino said:
Catholics aren't suppose to eat pork during lent.
Who taught you that rule? I don't think any kind of meat is specifically discriminated against; you're not supposed to eat any meat during lent, though more modern teachings just make that Fridays.

I used to love pork (especially pork chops with applesauce!), but lately, it just doesn't taste right to me. I still love bacon and ham and sausage, but pork chops and pork roast just don't taste good anymore...it tastes different to me than it used to. I'm still trying to figure that one out, if it's something I've changed in the way I cook it, or the cuts I'm getting, or the flavor of the breeds of pigs used for market here compared to other places I've lived. :confused:

We must be talking about different teachings or maybe I am getting screwed up. Bottom line is, pork sucks, god hates it, i hate it, thus, i am god.

I love pork! It's all meat that is restricted during lent, not just pork. Although when I was little we only observed the no meat rule on Fridays, lent didn't matter.

I am not aware of any Christian aversions to pork.

Evo said:
I am not aware of any Christian aversions to pork.
I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be since my grandmother used to get the priest to bless the ham she cooked for Easter dinner (I don't think the blessing helped my grandmother's cooking though :uhh:).

Okay, a crazy thought just came to my mind after spending too much time in this thread...can Muslims or Jews play football? Aren't footballs made of pigskin? Or is that just a name and they are made out of something else now?

There not made out of pig skin, its a synthetic.

Moonbear said:
can Muslims or Jews play football?
I'm sorry, the visual that brings with it is just too funny. Sorry. :redface:

Back