Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PCB Artist Layout Software

1. Jan 17, 2017 #1

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

Anyone here used it?
    http://www.4pcb.com/free-pcb-layout-software/
    I have liked Eagle in the past but I see the company I have ordered boards with offers PCB Artist for free. I downloaded it and it looks pretty simple compared to Eagle which is fine with me. It's not like I am laying out a motherboard or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

From their website it does seem to have a lot of features. Let us know what you think of it! :smile:

4. Feb 7, 2017 #3

Averagesupernova

Gold Member

I will give an update. It seems a bit awkward to find parts in their libraries but with a bit of experience most things can be found. Of course there is always the option of building up your own which I have done a fair amount of. The design check is good in finding dangling tracks, lower than spec clearances and things of this nature. I thought the schematic portion was a little off. Some parts have huge font sizes and some have very small. I was unable to find a way to slap a ground symbol down and have it automatically be the ground net. You have to specifically rename each net you want to be ground and attach the symbol. All ok for free I suppose. I didn't try the autorouter as I wanted the layout to be very similar to a previous revision. Eagle was fine but since autodesk got ahold of them I doubt I will have anything to do with it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted