Is PCB Artist Layout Software a Viable Alternative to Eagle for PCB Design?

• Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pcb Software
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of PCB layout software, specifically Eagle and PCB Artist. The speaker mentions that they have used Eagle in the past but are now considering using PCB Artist, which they find to be simpler. They mention that the software has a lot of features and ask for others' opinions on it. The speaker also gives updates on their experience using PCB Artist, mentioning the design check feature and the difficulty in finding parts in the libraries. They also express their dislike for Eagle since it was acquired by Autodesk.
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone here used it?
http://www.4pcb.com/free-pcb-layout-software/
I have liked Eagle in the past but I see the company I have ordered boards with offers PCB Artist for free. I downloaded it and it looks pretty simple compared to Eagle which is fine with me. It's not like I am laying out a motherboard or something.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From their website it does seem to have a lot of features. Let us know what you think of it! :smile:

Likes Averagesupernova
I will give an update. It seems a bit awkward to find parts in their libraries but with a bit of experience most things can be found. Of course there is always the option of building up your own which I have done a fair amount of. The design check is good in finding dangling tracks, lower than spec clearances and things of this nature. I thought the schematic portion was a little off. Some parts have huge font sizes and some have very small. I was unable to find a way to slap a ground symbol down and have it automatically be the ground net. You have to specifically rename each net you want to be ground and attach the symbol. All ok for free I suppose. I didn't try the autorouter as I wanted the layout to be very similar to a previous revision. Eagle was fine but since autodesk got ahold of them I doubt I will have anything to do with it.

Last edited:

1. What is PCB Artist Layout Software?

PCB Artist Layout Software is a computer program used for designing and creating printed circuit boards (PCBs). It allows users to create electronic schematics, place components on a virtual board, and generate manufacturing files for the production of PCBs.

2. Is PCB Artist Layout Software free to use?

Yes, PCB Artist Layout Software is completely free to use. It is developed and distributed by Advanced Circuits, a leading manufacturer of PCBs, as a tool to help their customers with the design and production process.

3. What features does PCB Artist Layout Software offer?

PCB Artist Layout Software offers a wide range of features including a user-friendly interface, schematic and PCB design tools, auto-routing, 3D visualization, BOM generation, and Gerber file export. It also has a vast library of components and supports both through-hole and surface mount technology.

4. Can I import files from other CAD software into PCB Artist Layout Software?

Yes, PCB Artist Layout Software supports importing of files from other CAD software such as Eagle, Altium, and OrCAD. This allows users to easily transfer their designs into PCB Artist for further editing and production.

5. Is PCB Artist Layout Software suitable for beginners?

Yes, PCB Artist Layout Software is designed to be user-friendly and accessible for beginners. It offers tutorials, helpful guides, and a support team to assist users in learning and using the software. It is also regularly updated with new features and improvements.