Tracing Serial EEPROM Pins on a Populated PCB

In summary, when trying to read a serial EEPROM chip on a populated PCB using a PIC microcontroller, it can be difficult to solder wires onto the tiny chip. Conducting a continuity test may not always be accurate due to components installed on the board. To ensure correct pin mappings, it is recommended to reverse the DMM terminals or trace the expected voltage along the path.
NPNTransistor
Hello,

I have a simple populated PCB with passive and active elements. The main chip on PCB is a 8 pin serial EEPROM chip which I am trying to read via PIC microcontroller. Serial chip is tiny and hard to solder wires onto so I can send signals from PIC controller to the chip. I will have easier access via traces onto other elements on the board. I am running continuity test to trace pins to other elements but I get beeps on multimeter that seem to suggest incorrect wiring. I doubt my continuity test technique because it is a commercial PCB. What techniques I can use to ensure I am using the correct pin mappings?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can only completely trust a DMM continuity test like this when there are no components installed. Especially with semiconductors (ICs) you can and often do have diodes connected between terminal pins and ground or power (for ESD and OV protections) which can get switched on and appear as a short if you aren't aware of them.

One work-around is to simply reverse the DMM terminals (which reverses the voltage of the test voltage in continuity mode) and see if you still get continuity. For PCB or solder flaws, the direction doesn't matter but for parasitic diodes in ICs it will.

Another work-around is often to have the board powered and simply trace out the expected voltage from one side of the path to the other. If it isn't the same all the way along the path, it indicates a PCB or soldering connection problem.

Thank you.

1. How do I identify the EEPROM pins on a populated PCB?

Identifying the EEPROM pins on a populated PCB can be challenging due to the complex circuitry and tiny components. However, you can use a multimeter to trace the connections between the EEPROM chip and other components on the board. Look for the pins labeled with SDA (Serial Data) and SCL (Serial Clock) as they are typically used for communication with the EEPROM.

2. Can I trace the EEPROM pins without damaging the PCB?

Yes, it is possible to trace the EEPROM pins without damaging the PCB. However, you must be careful when using a multimeter or any other tool to avoid short circuits or other potential damage. It is recommended to use a fine-tipped probe and work slowly and methodically.

3. What if the EEPROM pins are not labeled on the PCB?

If the EEPROM pins are not labeled on the PCB, you can refer to the datasheet of the EEPROM chip to identify the pins. The datasheet will provide a pinout diagram and other necessary information to help you locate the correct pins on the board.

4. Can I trace the EEPROM pins on a PCB with multiple layers?

Tracing the EEPROM pins on a PCB with multiple layers can be more challenging compared to a single-layer board. In this case, you may need to refer to the PCB layout design or use an X-ray machine to locate the connections between the chip and other components.

5. What if I am not able to trace the EEPROM pins on my own?

If you are not able to trace the EEPROM pins on your own, you can consult with an experienced technician or an electronics engineer. They may have the necessary tools and expertise to help you identify the pins and troubleshoot any issues with the EEPROM on your PCB.